How to connect case fan controller to motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noahdutch

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi,

I have a fan controller built into my case, the fractal design R4. It branches off into a 3-pin connector and a 4-pin connector (at least thats what I think they are). How do I connect them to my motherboard in order to adjust my fan speed?

Solution
The fan controller controls the fans on its own, see the controls behind the front door. There is no way you can get it to work with the motherboard.

The 4-pin connector needs to be connected to one of your power supply's 4-pin molex connectors. There should be 3x 3-pin connectors, each for a fan which needs to be controlled through the controller.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
The fan controller controls the fans on its own, see the controls behind the front door. There is no way you can get it to work with the motherboard.

The 4-pin connector needs to be connected to one of your power supply's 4-pin molex connectors. There should be 3x 3-pin connectors, each for a fan which needs to be controlled through the controller.

Solution

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't seen any fan controllers to have 4-pin PWM connectors, though who knows, some Chinese guy might have gotten one out :p. Usually all 4-pin fan connectors can be connected to 3-pin connectors on the motherboard and those coming out of the fan controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.