How to connect DVI-D/HDMI/Display Port gpu to VGA monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubabaluch2

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card which only has a HDMI port, two DVI-D ports and a Display Port. My monitor, which is a pretty old LG W2243S-PF from 5 years ago only has a VGA port.

I am planning on buying a new monitor anyway, but is there any way to connect them? I bought a HDMI to VGA converter, which I thought converted the digital signal to the analog signal, but nope it was just a "physical" converter which didn't actually let anything pass through.

I have seen a few converters, but they're pretty expensive - £40 for a cable?

So, is there any way to connect these without buying an expensive converter, and will it affect the image quality in any way? Or should I just wait until I buy a new monitor and not waste my money?

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014

Every GPU maker "offers" at least 1 of these adapters, why would you need to buy another?

bignastyid

Titan

When gpus still had a ramdacs including a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter was common place but since their removal I am not aware of any video card manufacture that ship an active DVI-D, HDMI, or Displayport to VGA adapters with their cards.

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014

You only need the DVI-D to VGA adapter, nothing else...That Monitor should have brought 1 D-Sub cable which would connect with the DVI-D adapter from the GPU or/and 1 DVI-D cable which would connect directly to the GPU...You can confirm this by checking the Monitor's manual.

bignastyid

Titan

DVI-D carries no analog signal, they are digital only. So DVI-D to VGA requires an active adapter to actively convert the digital signal to an analog signal.

Passive DVI-I to VGA adapters worked because DVI-I carries a digital and analog signal.

The GTX 1060 only has DVI-D ports. So the OP needs either an active DVI-D to VGA adapter, active HDMI to VGA adapter or active Displayport to VGA adapter I suggest getting whichever is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.