[SOLVED] HOW TO CONNECT ETHERNET SWITCH/HUB TO MY ROUTER THAT WILL WORK

Aug 16, 2020
Can anybody help me?
My present network set up is

Converge modem (wifi turned off) and connected to:
  1. Linksys Wifi router.
  2. Ethernet cable -- I use this for my dekstop and the TV on my home office. I have to manually remove the cable from my desktop a dplace it into the port of my TV everytime I want to watch Netflix. (Wifi signal is weak in my first floor office and the modem and router is at the second floor.)

Recently I just added another desktop in the office. Now, I bought a basic TPLink Switch
(Picture). I connected the cable to the switch and from the switch I connected both my desktops. Unfortunately no amount of setting it made it work. Th error I alwasy get is no valid ip configuration. I tried everything from the YouTube tutorials but nothing help. I still get the same error.

Can anybody help me?

Solution
Linkysy Router is AC1900 MU-MIMO GIGABIT Router
I also bought another Switch this PM and the model is the
DLINK 8 port DES1008A
The LED on the switch are all lit.
I was planning on connecting this on two desktops.
Both desktops appear connected to the network but no internet.
The third connection was my TV. It says it is connected but still no internet.
That DES1008A is a 100Mbit switch. That will limit your devices to 90Mbit throughput. If you pay for ISP service faster than that, you need a different switch.
Can you ping the router from one of the desktops ?

kanewolf

Titan
Can anybody help me?
My present network set up is

Converge modem (wifi turned off) and connected to:
  1. Linksys Wifi router.
  2. Ethernet cable -- I use this for my dekstop and the TV on my home office. I have to manually remove the cable from my desktop a dplace it into the port of my TV everytime I want to watch Netflix. (Wifi signal is weak in my first floor office and the modem and router is at the second floor.)
Recently I just added another desktop in the office. Now, I bought a basic TPLink Switch
(Picture). I connected the cable to the switch and from the switch I connected both my desktops. Unfortunately no amount of setting it made it work. Th error I alwasy get is no valid ip configuration. I tried everything from the YouTube tutorials but nothing help. I still get the same error.

Can anybody help me?
Please provide the model of Linksys router and TP Link Switch.
The LEDs on the switch should tell the story. You should get an LED on the port going back to the router. If you don't have that, nothing will work.

Aug 16, 2020
Please provide the model of Linksys router and TP Link Switch.
The LEDs on the switch should tell the story. You should get an LED on the port going back to the router. If you don't have that, nothing will work.

DLINK 8 port DES1008A

kanewolf

Titan
DLINK 8 port DES1008A
That DES1008A is a 100Mbit switch. That will limit your devices to 90Mbit throughput. If you pay for ISP service faster than that, you need a different switch.
Can you ping the router from one of the desktops ?

Solution