how to connect more case fans to ASUS P8H61-M LX3

Aston_J

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
i own the Asus P8h61-M LX3 motherboard, and i have a case with four fans, but the board has a connection for one fan other than the cpu fan, are there any ways which i can connect more fans to my pc for better airflow instead of idle fans?

please help, and all responses are welcome
thank you

Solution
A fan splitter would be a great option.

Something like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812987007&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Power+Splitter+Cords-_-N82E16812987007&gclid=CObepZmzj88CFcRZhgodGjgPXQ

You can definitely find them cheaper though, that was just the first one that popped up for me with a quick Google search.

Essentially, the single end attaches to the header on the motherboard, and then two fans are attached to the other end.

Leaves you with one idle fan though.......

You could either leave it idle, or you could wire that one directly to the PSU - but it'll run full speed 100% of the time.

I believe you could also use a splitter on your CPU_Fan...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A fan splitter would be a great option.

Something like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812987007&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Cables+-+Power+Splitter+Cords-_-N82E16812987007&gclid=CObepZmzj88CFcRZhgodGjgPXQ

You can definitely find them cheaper though, that was just the first one that popped up for me with a quick Google search.

Essentially, the single end attaches to the header on the motherboard, and then two fans are attached to the other end.

Leaves you with one idle fan though.......

You could either leave it idle, or you could wire that one directly to the PSU - but it'll run full speed 100% of the time.

I believe you could also use a splitter on your CPU_Fan header, but I wouldn't recommend it.
If the Chassis fan splitter was to fail, things will just heat up a little.
If you did the same thing on your CPU_Fan header and it failed, that could be a little more problematic.

Solution
It may not be entirely wise to connect more than 2 fans to a single header, there is a risk, albeit a small one of overloading it.
The other obvious option is some sort of fan controller or controller hub.

A fan controller can handle several fans and is powered by a lead from the PSU, each fan has its own channel so each can be controlled individually. Usually they require a spare 5 1/4" drive bay and have a LED display.

A controller hub is also powered from the PSU but differs in that it controls all the fans attached to it simultaneously by using a connection to a motherboard header to read and control the fan speed. It's a safer option to using a 3 or 4 way splitter on a single header because it only sends a speed signal to the motherboard so it knows how fast the fans are going, power is provided directly from the PSU lead and control usually through the system BIOS.

Choose your poison. ;)