Question How to connect my PSU to my GPU

May 5, 2022
Hi everyone,
im currently waiting on my new PC parts for my new build, they are being delivered in the coming days, cant wait yo im super happy :D
Just in case you need some info to help,
-MSI PRO B660-A DDR4
-Intel i5-12400F
-Corsair Hydro iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
-32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair 3600MHz Vengeance RGB PRO SL
-8GB Gigabyte RTX3060Ti GAMING OC PRO

-4x ARGB Case fans, 3x Infront for Intake and 1x at the back as exhaust
sooo now i need help with my PSU so that i dont make any unnecessary mistake, it is the 850W MSI MPG A850GF 80+Gold ,
its the first time i have a multi 12V rail PSU and im completly lost as in how to connect it the right way to my GPU, i know CPU and MB are
labled and thats very good and easy but the GPU is a bit weird, if you take a look at that test website, i know its german but that doesnt matter
just scroll down to the picture that shows you how to connect your GPU.
https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/msi_mpg_a650gf_a750gf_a850gf/s01.php
NOW according to them i should use (since my GPU has 1x 8 Pin and 1x 6 Pin) 2 different 12V Rails as in VGA 1 and VGA 2 but that would mean i have
cables hanging down my GPU cause the PSU comes with 3x split cables (each cable has 2x 6+2 Pins)
so my Questions are why is the 12V VGA1 Rail split into 2 connections on the PSU?
and can i use only the 12V VGA2 Rail with one split cable since the Wattage is good enough with 12V*40A=480W.
or am i missing something and actually need to use both 12V VGA1+2 Rails ?
Thanks in advance :)

4745454b

Titan
I'm really surprised by that 40A rating on the VGA plugs. I would never try to send that much wattage through cables that small. I really hope they used bigger wires than normal.

If they want you to use those plugs then I would use those. There must be a reason for it. I don't know what it is but I would do what they say.

May 5, 2022
Thank you all for taking your time and help me with that, i guess i have to connect my GPU to VGA1 and VGA2 then
but thats super bad and looks not as good as i would like and have some cables hanging down the GPU, kinda bad but eeh.

I'm really surprised by that 40A rating on the VGA plugs. I would never try to send that much wattage through cables that small. I really hope they used bigger wires than normal.

If they want you to use those plugs then I would use those. There must be a reason for it. I don't know what it is but I would do what they say.
they have some "Alloy Copper Connector Terminals" stuff which makes them able to withstand higher current ratings,
thats just what i've read on the MSI website so idk.

You will get a manual with the PSU that explains how to hook up the cables. Distributing the load between the rails is the key with multi rail PSU's
The PSU manual is also available at MSI's product page. It even has pictures that show how to connect different types of graphics cards.
yea i've checked the MSI website, doesnt really make sense that they want you to connect it that way but then send
you 3x 6+2 cables ?? like what, who thought that thats a great idea over there?

Personally think that using VGA2 only is fine with such a gpu, might become different with a >-3080 .
hmmm now, youre the only one that thinks and says what i kinda wanna hear/read :D but i wanna be safe
and actually use my stuff for a little while whiteout the danger of slowly killing my hardware
cause i connected it the wrong way, so again im still not sure now.

May 5, 2022
Worst thing might happen is a protection kicking in (OCP), which i doubt with the load that the RTX 3060 ti will give and am not saying it just because you want to hear it.
ok how could i see if everything is fine when i connect it to VGA2 only? like the cable is doing good and not getting too hot/overheating
and the GPU gets what it needs? is it somewhere in HWMonitor or a different software?

Mine came with two single connector PCIe cables and two dual connector cables for the total of 6 connectors.
Oh reeeeally ? :O when did you get yours? and is it the same?
from what i've read is that we get MB cables and 2x CPU 4+4 Pins cables and then the 3x 6+2 Pins split cables.
that would actually fix everything for me that would be sooo huuuge, so good :D

ok how could i see if everything is fine when i connect it to VGA2 only? like the cable is doing good and not getting too hot/overheating
and the GPU gets what it needs? is it somewhere in HWMonitor or a different software?

Oh reeeeally ? :O when did you get yours? and is it the same?
from what i've read is that we get MB cables and 2x CPU 4+4 Pins cables and then the 3x 6+2 Pins split cables.
that would actually fix everything for me that would be sooo huuuge, so good :D
I got mine in November
" two PCIe connectors are on dedicated cables, which is preferred for energy-hungry graphics cards " from toms 750watt review here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-mpg-a750gf-power-supply-review

Last edited:
May 5, 2022

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
ok how could i see if everything is fine when i connect it to VGA2 only?
You will notice signs which indicate troubles, like worst case shutting down when stressing the gpu or maybe a restart.

the GPU gets what it needs?
Think that will be fine with this gpu.

is it somewhere in HWMonitor or a different software?
You could monitor voltages with Hwinfo if you desire,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

you could even make a log for yourself,

How to make a log,

Open Hwinfo,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc (i use this latter one myself, works fine and is freeware).

In the end, if you feel more safe with two cables just use them. 😉

May 5, 2022
You will notice signs which indicate troubles, like worst case shutting down when stressing the gpu or maybe a restart.

In the end, if you feel more safe with two cables just use them. 😉
Alright then, i will think about it and probably try both and see what looks/works better for me :)

Thank you all for helping me, im new here and dont really do forums at all but that was a very nice experience seeing
so many people helping me this fast, crazy really, thank you <3
And i probably have some more questions coming, now i know where i can most likely get answers :)

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS