[SOLVED] How to connect PWM fan controller

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
(At the start I'm sorry for my english language)
Hi, I have a question about controlling the fans by the motherboard. Well, in Dark Base 900 rev. 2 there is a PCB to control the fans on the back. I connected there every fans I have in computer case (except cpu of course). So in front of case there is a switch left right to change fan speed, PCB has switch to change between silent and performance but there is also option that motherboard can automatically select fan speed. To make this I have to connect PWM fan controller from pcb to motherboard and switch it to the left but here is the problem. I have MSI Z170A Gaming M3 and I don't know where to connect PWM Fan Controller from PCB to motherboard also if I turn switch to the left fans are spinning slower... I mean if I set switch up to performance mode on PCB it is 800-1600 and silent to the bottom 400-1040. In manual of case is written, If you want that your motherboard will be selecting rpm automatically switch fan controller in front to the left, so I should move pcb switch to the middle and push fan controller in front to the left?

I found manual page to fan controller in my motherboard https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1201339/Msi-Z170a-Gaming-M3.html?page=32 Should I connect it to SysFan 1 2 3 or Cpu2?

I'm really sorry if you cant get something of that but english isn't my native language, I will try to explain more details in comments if it's necessary

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Yes CPU fans changes speed with temperature also my PCB looks exactly like this in picture.
I guess it's possible you got a defective PCB (unlikely, but possible). An easy test would be to plug one of your fans directly into CPUFAN2 (bypass the PCB) and see what happens.
@Ateretu
Just to confirm ... your case fans are PWM, yes? If so, I would connect the PWM line (I assume they supplied a cable) from the PCB (letter "A" in the DarkBase manual) to SysFan 2 or 3 since they are at the edge of the motherboard. Fans would then connect to the ports labeled "B" in the manual. For automatic control, you would slide the switch on the front of the case all the way to the left. The cable from the slider switch would need to plugged into "I" in the manual. It seems that switchs at "J" do nothing if the slider is all the way to the left. You will also need a SATA power cable plugged into the PCB at "G".

DarkBase Manual ... see page 9
Motherboard Manual

Last edited:
Reactions: Ateretu

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Thanks for reply!

Unfortunately it doesn't work :/ All fans are PWM and plugged into ''B'' ports. "G" and "I" ports are plugged with cables since I pulled out case from box and lead to front panel so I think they are plugged right. I wonder do SysFan3 is correct... In manual is written " For the automatic PWM fan controller to function, a cable must connect port “A” on the PCB panel to the PWM connector on your motherboard" maybe it should be connected to CPUFAN2 because in mb manual cpufan is pwm mode fan connector and sysfan is voltage mode but it don't make sense becuse fans should spin with cpu speed or I am wrong.

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Thanks again for reply!

I think it's still doesn't work. I plugged it into CPUFAN2, HWMonitor shows it as a SYSFANIN and they spin 780-805 not less not more. I even turned on AIDA64 stress test for 5 minutes but still nothing. Switch in front of case is all the way left. Now I'm wondering do my motherboard has PWM Controller connector...

Thanks again for reply!

I think it's still doesn't work. I plugged it into CPUFAN2, HWMonitor shows it as a SYSFANIN and they spin 780-805 not less not more. I even turned on AIDA64 stress test for 5 minutes but still nothing. Switch in front of case is all the way left. Now I'm wondering do my motherboard has PWM Controller connector...
It sounds like you have everything plugged in the correct place, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

The main CPU fan is PWM and it changes speed with temperature, yes?

The connection on the PCB at "A" ... does it look like this?

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Weird... CPUFAN (cpu cooler fans) are spinning 170RPM, PCB is called SYSFANIN and spins 400-1000 (silent mode from switch) and this one fan plugged into cpufan2 is called AUXFANIN and spins 800rpm not less not more...

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
You know, I think this all work isn't worth time. I set Silent mode and pushed switch to the right, it's spin 1k rpm. It's cold and quiet. I'm sorry if it's childish behavior but I think it's waste of time...

Thanks for all help anotherdrew, you were the only one who tried to help me with this problem (i posted it on 2 internet forums )

Reactions: anotherdrew