[SOLVED] How to connect subwoofer from Logitech Z607 to Onkyo TX-NR636 AVR?

Apr 7, 2020
Hello,

I have this Logitech Z607 5.1 system, it was connected to my PC, and it works great.

However now i want to be able to watch 5.1 movies on my TV. I have an old Onkyo NR636 receiver and a MiBox 4, connected to Samsung TV.
Connected like this:
MiBox HDMI Out -> NR636 HDMI In
NR636 ARC HDMI Out -> TV
Speakers from Z607 connected directly to NR636
NR636 Sub pre-out connected to one of the AUX IN on Subwoofer

But this doesn't work, speakers works like they should, but subwoofer stays silent.

In NR636 i have configured all speakers to 100Hz (was like that by default), and Subwoofer option set to Yes. I also tried increasing crossover to 150Hz but no change.

Is there a way to connect this subwoofer to my avr?

I also tried connecting to sub labeled port on subwoofer, but still desn't work

Here are some images of ports on sub and avr.

Solution
Try adjust sub volume to max in AVR. May have to lower other speakers independently and use main volume to a likeable level where the sub contributes more.

Can you feel the sub cone move at all?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm ok, subs for AVR's have gain knobs to control the volume because the amp relies on the sub's own amplifier to up the volume. AVR's do have some limited amplification though but not much, it pretty much just sends the LFE signal and lets the sub do the work.

Check for sub volume in Onkyo menus.

Apr 7, 2020
I didnt find such option on nr636, but ill google if it exists...
But i tried to increase the volume on the sub to the max, now i can hear it, but barely. It is slightly better than nothing at least

Apr 7, 2020
Yes, sorry, it doesn't have physical one
I can change it via "menu"
There are volume levels for each channel, Main one from 0-30, and other ones from -5 to 5
Maxed all of them (not sure if other channel will make any difference though)

Apr 7, 2020
It moves a little bit.

But i think its OK for now.
I will play around with independent speaker volumes some more till i get sub level where i want it.
Thanks for the tips.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at your sub again for some kind of volume control, does the up volume do anything on the sub itself? That ring control thing?

Motherboard audio is similar to an AVR, not much amplification, so that sub should have a way to increase it's own amplified gain somehow.

Apr 7, 2020
Yes, it is a volume control for selected input. From 0 to 30
I maxed it to 30, and then i can hear the sub, default is 15, and there is literally no sound from sub when set to 15