How to Connect to a 120+ Hz display

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ABYs

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015
@Glenwing I wanted to know more about HDMI to DP active converter you linked above. Is it really working? Because I'll be playing hefty amount to bring it in India. Do you know any alternative converters as well?

dev1

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
Hello there @Glenwin , I'm very interested in making a transportable monitor using oem parts like the B173HAN01.4 lcd screen, however by doing so I have to use an LCD controller I've found one that only supports HDMI (1.4 or at least that's what they've advertised it), I'm wondering if the controller itself could cripple the panel, and I'm stuck with HDMI(I haven't been able to run an HDMI more than 60Hz...). Oh, and also both things are from a Chinese site which I'll not name, but just clarify since electronics like these are scars locally....

Last edited:

Lukebad

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
First of all: Thanks for this treasure trove of information. Very useful guide!

I was researching active HDMI (source) -> DP (monitor) cables to be able to do 1080p @ 120Hz, saw your mention of the cable, found a very similar cable in my country and I'm currently waiting for the seller to confirm in writing that it works. Hopefully it does!

I have tested it to work up to 1080p 120 Hz. I haven't tested any others.
That particular Amazon listing is strange, because there's a recent review claiming 1080p @ 120Hz was not attainable. The seller answered that it removed mentions from 1080p120 from the product's description, so now I'm confused. You used it and it worked, but the guy reviewing couldn't get past 60Hz... Maybe they sent different cables? (link for posterity: "Isn't compatible with all laptops" Amazon Review)

First of all: Thanks for this treasure trove of information. Very useful guide!

I was researching active HDMI (source) -> DP (monitor) cables to be able to do 1080p @ 120Hz, saw your mention of the cable, found a very similar cable in my country and I'm currently waiting for the seller to confirm in writing that it works. Hopefully it does!

That particular Amazon listing is strange, because there's a recent review claiming 1080p @ 120Hz was not attainable. The seller answered that it removed mentions from 1080p120 from the product's description, so now I'm confused. You used it and it worked, but the guy reviewing couldn't get past 60Hz... Maybe they sent different cables? (link for posterity: "Isn't compatible with all laptops" Amazon Review)
It is because he is trying to use it with a higher resolution monitor which the adapter is limited to 30/60 Hz at. He has lowered the resolution to 1080p thinking that will enable the higher refresh rate but probably does not know that he needs to disable GPU scaling for that to work, otherwise the refresh rate will be limited to whatever is available at max resolution no matter what resolution he selects in the OS.

Reactions: Lukebad

Lukebad

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It is because he is trying to use it with a higher resolution monitor which the adapter is limited to 30/60 Hz at. He has lowered the resolution to 1080p thinking that will enable the higher refresh rate but probably does not know that he needs to disable GPU scaling for that to work, otherwise the refresh rate will be limited to whatever is available at max resolution no matter what resolution he selects in the OS.
I'm betting that could be it, and the seller just decided to remove it to prevent future issues...

BTW, I'm probably getting an Asus VG248QG - It's supposed to work with 1080p @ 120Hz over HDMI (English Manual (last page has the relevant info)), I'll report back once it arrives and I can test it.

Aug 13, 2020
Yes, it will work, as long as the monitor supports it.
Thank you for your confimation that it will work. Since I'm having a doubt that it will, I'm also thinking buying higher refresh rate monitor than my laptop with 60hz display for my laptop.

Aug 26, 2020
Hi Glenwing, I just recently purchased AOC 24G2 (144HZ), monitor. And yes it does support 144hz over HDMI. You can update your list. Once again thank you so much, this discussion helped me a lot throughout my research.

Lukebad

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
After a post office strike, one unarrived monitor and a second one bought through a private courier...
I can finally confirm that the Asus VG248QG does indeed support 120Hz over HDMI. Out of the box, no compatibility issues, straight through the "monitor settings" dialog (no custom profile needed)

Thanks again for your work! Hopefully, this teeny tiny contribution will help someone, as your list has helped me.

ASK THE COMMUNITY