Question How to connect to internet without using ethernet cord or wi-fi chip

felixcurtiss

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Hello,
I have sort of a dilemma for getting internt to my PC. I can't use an ethernet cord, as the distance to the modem is to great. I can't move either the modem or the computer. Finally, as I am unable to use a wi-fi card, as the modem and I are on different floors, and so the wi-fi is terrible (I tested via my laptop). Finally, I have this device made by netgear (not sure what its called) which transmits the data via two box plugged into the electrical socket. One which is connected by ethernet to the modem and the other to my motherboard. However, it is completely unreliable and disconnects all the time. I was wondering if anyone had any other options I could try.

USAFRet

Titan
Your options:

Ethernet. Apparently, this is too far. How 'far' is it?
WiFi. Not reliable in your particular location
Netgear Powerline. "completely unreliable "

The only other option is MOCA. THisis somewhat the same as the powerline solution, except that it pushes the signal through the house coax instead of the house elec wiring.
Is your house wired for coax?

I have this device made by netgear (not sure what its called)
Well if we had the exact make/model of this not sure what its called, we could had told u to buy something else, but as is, with incomplete information, can only guess and advise these boxes called POWER LINE ADAPTERS, have gone through several revisions and the new ones are said be better than old, so that's another potential option to look into.