How to connect wireless TP Link to a D-link wireless router

shermilden

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I have TP-Link "TD-W8951ND" and D-link "DSL-2750U". The Tp-link router is in living room connected to the TV, and D-link is near my computer in the room. Tp-link will be the main router and D-link will be the secondary router which I will connect to the Computer via a LAN cable to get internet. Tp-link will connect to the internet service provider. How can I connect the two routers together so I can have access to internet. I want to use wireless and LAN connections of both routers. D-link will be used as a repeater.

Solution
You will need to check the documentation that these routers can be used in that configuration. Not all can. I have an ASUS RT88 and it is a specific option in the firmware that allows it to be used either as a repeater rather than as a router (or vice versa). And even then it can only be used in this configuration with another ASUS router via WiFi.

I am also not sure that just simply connecting a LAN cable will work due to the way that NAT works. You may be better off utilising a basic gigabit network switch as the extension rather than another router, but I would assume you would need to use a LAN crossover cable to link the two together rather than a standard CAT 5 or 6 network lead.

Best of luck.

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
You will need to check the documentation that these routers can be used in that configuration. Not all can. I have an ASUS RT88 and it is a specific option in the firmware that allows it to be used either as a repeater rather than as a router (or vice versa). And even then it can only be used in this configuration with another ASUS router via WiFi.

I am also not sure that just simply connecting a LAN cable will work due to the way that NAT works. You may be better off utilising a basic gigabit network switch as the extension rather than another router, but I would assume you would need to use a LAN crossover cable to link the two together rather than a standard CAT 5 or 6 network lead.

Best of luck.

Solution