[SOLVED] How to convert drive partition into recovery data?

runis

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
I cloned my C: Drive onto a new SSD and made it my boot drive, but I don't want to delete the original C: Drive location off the harddrive. It's a 2tb partition on a 6tb drive, I kinda just wanted to convert it into recovery data and hide it or something. I don't mind that 2tb space being unusable but I'm having trouble on google figuring out the process. Is it not possible?

Solution
As others have indicated, you don't have to disable the older boot drive. Right now, I'm typing this on my desktop which has 3 drives, each of which can boot to Windows -

1. An SSD with Windows 10 which I'm now using
  2. A 2TB hard disk with a fully functioning Windows 7 - in case I need it for something
  3. A 1TB hard disk with Windows 10. This is a temporary attachment and installation for testing.

To boot from the desired disk, all that has to be done is to set the boot order in BIOS. This can be done permanently (until you decide to change it later) by going into the BIOS settings at start-up or temporarily by pressing the boot menu hotkey during start-up.
You don't need to make the old disk un bootable, you can achieve the same thing by going into your bios and telling it to boot from the clone.

To make the partition not show up go to disk manager right click on the partition and select change drive letter and then just click on remove.

A better way would be to take an image of that partition with compression, saving you space and allowing you to recover from a bootable clone app.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
As others have indicated, you don't have to disable the older boot drive. Right now, I'm typing this on my desktop which has 3 drives, each of which can boot to Windows -

1. An SSD with Windows 10 which I'm now using
  2. A 2TB hard disk with a fully functioning Windows 7 - in case I need it for something
  3. A 1TB hard disk with Windows 10. This is a temporary attachment and installation for testing.

To boot from the desired disk, all that has to be done is to set the boot order in BIOS. This can be done permanently (until you decide to change it later) by going into the BIOS settings at start-up or temporarily by pressing the boot menu hotkey during start-up.

Solution