How to Copy an OS iso-img File to a Bootable USB Drive

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
How to copy a Win 7 Pro 64-bit OS 3-gb iso-img-file to a bootable USB drive using Rufus USB software ...

or one of these USB drive softwares: unetbootin.sourceforge.net pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3 wudt.codeplex.com

And then how to use the USB bootable drive to install the Win 7 Pro OS ...

Solution

If you have the DVD or USB in, you can run the setup.exe on that drive.
That will do one of two things:
Start the install process
or
Give you the option to run a Repair or other troubleshooting.

Is that what you're looking for?

USAFRet

Titan

What in the Rufus interface is unclear?
Alternative software - Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
As for the Universal USB Installer, I use that one on a daily basis. You put your iso in an easily accessible location, open Universal USB Installer, and under "Select a Linux Distribution", scroll to the very bottom of that list until you see "Non-Linux Distributions." Under that should be Windows 7 Installer

Step 2, you just click on the "Browse" button, and search for that iso you downloaded and placed in an easily accessible spot.

As for your flash drive letter, it should automatically pick it up, but if you have multiple removable storage devices, you can find which one you need by going to My Computer (or This PC on Windows 10).

After that, just click Create (should give you a pop up about formatting) and you're good to go.

As for installing it, while keeping the USB drive in, restart your computer. While your motherboard / PC manufacturer's splash screen logo is on, press whatever key is needed to go to the boot menu. The keys vary with the motherboard or device. Mine happens to be F12, but it could be F10, F11, or any of the Function keys.

When you get to the Boot Menu, click on the USB Drive or Removable Storage or whatever your BIOS may call your USB drive. The Windows 7 Installer should then boot up.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Oh, so you have to boot directly to the OS installation on the USB drive.

What is the min-gb size USB drive that I need to buy for a 3-gb Win-OS-iso-img-file, is there a preferred brand, and how much should I not pay over. Also, once the OS is installed on the USB drive it cannot be used to store anything else, right.

Is this method easier and-or better than writing the Win 7 OS 3-gb iso-img-file to a bootable DVD.

When I boot to the OS USB-drive should I choose repair or clean install.

USAFRet

Titan

4GB USB or larger. No preferred brand.
After you use it, you can wipe that USB and use it for other stuff.
Clean install.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Thanks to both of you for your pro-level answers, together they solve the whole USB OS iso-img-file related question.

Can I ask about using the optional DVD disc method here ...

You can still store things on it with the windows install on it. There will be other files/folders so usually I have a separate folder that I keep drivers and program setups in. Usb is faster than dvd. Difficulty isn't different imo. Burn/unpack the iso and boot to the right device.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
After booting to the Win 7 OS that is copied to the USB-drive reinstalling the Win 7 OS, can you then be able to bring the OS onscreen for whatever reason from the USB-drive directly, without having to go through the boot sequence, just like when you go to drive D: and it will play what's in the CD-DVD player-drive ...

USAFRet

Titan

Booting from that USB will bring up the Windows install screen.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
After booting to the Win 7 OS that is copied to the USB-drive and reinstalling the Win 7 OS,

will you then be able to bring the Win 7 OS onscreen for whatever reason,

from the USB-drive directly, "without having to go through the boot sequence," just like when you go to "drive D:" and it will "play what's in the CD-DVD player-drive ..."

USAFRet

Titan

Not sure I understand the question.
After the OS is installed on the hard drive in the system, it will boot into the OS when you turn the system on.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
After booting to the Win 7 OS that is copied to the USB-drive and reinstalling the Win 7 OS,

will you then be able to bring the Win 7 OS onscreen at any time for whatever reason, ( as long as you can start the computer and get to the drives, ) from the USB-drive directly, without having to go through the boot sequence,

just like when you go to "drive D:" and it will "play what's in the CD-DVD player-drive, such as a Win-OS repair disc ..."

USAFRet

Titan

No.
What is on the USB is only the install files. After it is installed, you boot from whatever hard drive is in the system that you installed it on.

(If I am reading this correctly)

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
So you can't later on after the Win OS is installed, with an already fully booted-up-started PC, go to the USB-drive directly, and bring the Win OS welcome screen on to the display screen. Just like with an already fully booted-up-started PC, when you go to drive D: CD-DVD-player-recorder and bring the Win OS welcome screen onscreen from the Win-OS DVD-disc ...

USAFRet

Titan

If you have the DVD or USB in, you can run the setup.exe on that drive.
That will do one of two things:
Start the install process
or
Give you the option to run a Repair or other troubleshooting.

Is that what you're looking for?

Solution

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Yes, a USB-drive with a Win OS installed on it will give you the same access to setup.exe as a CD-DVD player with a Win-OS-DVD loaded into it.

Does the software I will be using to load the Win-7-OS iso-img-file onto the USB-drive, first have to convert the iso-img-file into a usable .exe app-file, such as setup.exe ...