Question how to create a Virtual machine?

glenn h

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2014
Hi, Im a light weight to pc modifications, I have a Compaq 7100 CMT, its the oldest pc I own, I need to find a way to load win 98 2nd edition or to use win 8.1 or xp and turn it into a Virtual machine. I only heard of virtual machines today. I have a program that will only run in win 95 or 98. and this pc will only be used for this program and offline only. I have tried to load 98 into it but failed. I removed the 4 gb of ram and installed 512mb. the smallest drive I have is a 120 GB SSD. need help and steps on turning it into a Virtual machine or steps to install win 98 into it. also, the program I need to use and run will not load into win 10,8.1, I did get it to load into win xp, but it constantly locks up, it's unusable in xp. the program also says it only works in win 95 or 98.. I have used this program many times 20 yrs ago,it worked great in win 98.. Thanks..

Last edited:

glenn h

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I did a diskpart several times and win 98 would not install, installed a sata hard drive, did a diskpart and loaded win xp, it worked great and also was able to load the program into it, the program works fine in this xp, but would not work when xp was installed into the SSD. I have no idea whats up with the SSD .