How to create internet server but not dedicated?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
>only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
>make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
>run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
>game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.

start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0

dr ratt
------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

dr ratt wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
>>only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
>>make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
>>run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
>>game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.
>
>
> start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0
>
> dr ratt
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.
I tried what you suggested but my friend still could not connect :(
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:50:20 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
wrote:


>I tried what you suggested but my friend still could not connect :(

it should work, my install defaulted to sv_lan 0. perhaps you are
using a firewall and need to give the game permission to act as a
server. or maybe you connect via a router and have ports forwarding to
the pc the dedicated server is on.

dr ratt

------------------------------------------------------------
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:q7fr81ts7uscnt0m49jgu3tqs7esatv9rj@4ax.com
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it
>> seems to only be for lan when i use the create option within the
>> game, how do I make it internet? The problem is the only way others
>> can join is if I run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do
>> it from within the game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or
>> lan within the game.
>
> start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0
>
> dr ratt
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.

yep, that worked for me, got the message it had connected to the Steam
servers. Nobody dropped in tho...
mcG.
 

Similar threads