How to create partition

simonsez9

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
hi folks
i am getting problem creating a partition on the last unallocated space on windows xp what should i do about it i am not getting the partition after right click please help me out chk the image below appreciate the help folk's

79945840.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

First off, why whould you create so many partitions? That's just a mess to deal with for no reason.

You are limited to 3 primary and one extended partitions on a disk. You'd have to create an extended partition and create more in there.

Or just use a partition manager and merge the free space with anothe partition on the drive. Try this http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm, but make sure you have system backups as you have a chance of drive issues when using any programs to mess with the partitions.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought you can have 4 primary partitions which is why he doesn't have an option to create more. If you need more than 4 partitions, then you must have 3 primary and 1 extended partition of which you can create more partitions inside the extended partition as stated by hang-the-9.

I think 4 primary is the limit, to get more than 4, you'd need 3 primary and one extended. The odd thing is why have so many partitions to begin with. It's like buying a loaf of bread, and then storring it at your summer house. You cut off a slice, once that is done, you need to drive to your other house to cut off another slice. So you run out of room in the partitions you already have, so you just create another small partition?

I guess some application could have a weird requirement, but it's just an odd thing to see 4 partitions on every single disk.

Yeah, that seems extreme. I could see if perhaps it was a large capacity drive like 2Tb or more, but even then I don't recommend having that may partitions.