How to deal with the plastic on devices getting sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefteki

Prominent
May 20, 2018
Various devices of mine (GPS,mobile dvd player,etc) are covered in a relatively soft plastic which has now become sticky.How can I deal with that? Can I use any cleaning solutions or will it destroy the plastic alltogether?

It sounds like you're referring to the thin, rubberized coatings that are applied to some electronics, many of which can break down over time, making them sticky. One good way to remove the coatings once they've started breaking down is to rub them with a paper towel soaked in isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Then rub them with another dry paper towel to wipe the coating off. You may need to repeat a few times, but in my experience the coating should come off relatively easily that way. After removal, you will typically be left with a shiny plastic surface, which might not look and feel quite as as nice as the rubberized surface when it was new, but will surely be better than a sticky one. I use higher-percentage 90%+ isopropyl alcohol, but lower percentages like 70% should work as well.

Note that on thicker rubber surfaces that are more than just a thin coating, you'll probably only be removing an outer layer of the material, and it's possible the the stickiness may return.

Reactions: smalltech

beefteki

Prominent
May 20, 2018

Thanks! I'll give it a try.It won't damage the screen,right?

That's a good point. I haven't actually tested it on anything with a screen. As far as the electronics go, I suspect it would be fine so long as you make sure everything is completely dry before powering the device on, and avoid having large drips getting around the edges of the display. Alcohol tends to evaporate relatively quickly, but you might want to be careful not to use too much around that area. Some people use isopropyl alcohol solutions to clean screens, and some commercial screen cleaning solutions contain it, but some manufacturers recommend against it, likely due to the possibility that it could remove protective coatings from the screen. If in doubt, you might just mask that area off, or just be a bit more careful around it.

Reactions: smalltech
Status
Not open for further replies.