How to deal with unreliable IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 adaptor ?

May 25, 2018
i had been using this (image attached below) SATA to USB adaptor (with power supply) to connect an internal (2 Terabyte) WD-HD to my laptop (Vista) and it worked okay for archiving purposes (used maybe once every 2 months) over a year or so.

now, however, the connection drops and i am thinking it is a power supply issue - can anyone comment if there are solutions to prevent this lost connection (usually for files more than 500 MB in size - ie. it cannot maintain the connection for a sustained period of time)

it does seem a hardware issue, i have tried connecting it to another laptop running Win XP but it doesn't get detected - to be precise, assigned a drive letter.

ccc-r-driver-iii-converter-usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-adapter-cable-eu-plug-2425-1921827-3a753d53b0ff64d2e36a54c48501b4a9-catalog.jpg_720x720q80.jpg

EDIT:
i have tried using the Disk Management console and the volume shows up but has no letter assigned, and the "Change Drive Letter" is grayed out.
FWIW: the 'Status' shows "Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)" and the free space is 100% when i know there is data ON it.

May 25, 2018
seriously, that's the answer - just "buy a new one" ?!
it's an old laptop and it does NOT have USB 3.0
is there no other alternative, can anyone confirm it *is in fact* (or very likely) a power supply issue causing the dropout ?
and not some other issue that can be dealt with by software settings.

USAFRet

Titan

Troubleshooting 101:
With that same adapter, does this happen on any other system?
With that same adapter, what happens with a different drive?

It may well be the adapter is hosed. Or it may be fine.
It may be the specific USB port.
You need to test in multiple use cases.

Yes, seriously, those are cheap built universal adapters with contacts that do not hold good. If it's a SATA HDD, get adapter with only SATA connector and no SATA cable.
Another question, is it 2.5" or 3.5" HDD ?