How to decide how much storage capacity I need in ssd

macdiva

Honorable
Feb 21, 2018
I’m going to be getting an ssd drive. I’d like to put my software on this drive not just windows and games (I do photoshop and video production) and then put all my files onto an hdd. How can I calculate the amount of space I’m going to need on the ssd for windows and my software? I can’t afford a 1T ssd but would like to go with a decent sized one for my needs. Not sure if I need 500G or 256G. Would rather not spend the money if all I really need will fit on a 256G. So, how do I calculate how much space I need??

Also was told by a friend that 3D nand was the best way to go vs traditional ssd as far as price point and speed.

Solution

1. No, that's not the way to...
you might want to find out how big of an install photoshop is going to be but i wouldn't think it would be much anyway. because of how big windows 10 is getting the minimum recommended SSD for both the OS and programs is 250GB. but if you are looking for more reassurance go for a 500GB version. SSD drives are fast but they take a performance hit when they get close to full which is why i never recommend someone getting a

120GB SSD because they would be constantly doing memory management.

I have had a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD in my desktop computer for almost 4 years without issue

USAFRet

Titan

What else will you have on this drive?
Photoshop by itself really isn't that large. If you have a lot of plugins, those start to add up.

A 250GB SSD will probably work.
My current OS drive is a 500GB 850 EVO. Approx 150GB used with OS and applications.
Win 10 Pro, MS VisualStudio, Office Pro, Adobe Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Rhino3D, a couple of good video editors, etc, etc, etc.
ALL applications.

What other drives will you have in this system?
Which OS?

fredfinks

Honorable
Jsut chiming in that new games can chew up space like no tomorrow.
Fallout 4 was over 90gb with high texture pack and DLC, GTA 5 was a 60gb download but needed a significant amount more of free space to unpack.

Ive recently upped my 500gb gaming & program ssd to 1tb. While i could be a bit more judicious i really dont have that many games installed.

I havent done a disk cleanup in a while but im using 44gb on primary with only win10, office and chrome installed there.
savegames and other data just accumulates

macdiva

Honorable
Feb 21, 2018
I will have a 1T hdd for long-term storage. A friend said to find out how much storage I'd need on an ssd for my software to go to the c drive> click on "program files" and "programsx86 files" together then go to get properties, It came up with like 90 GB but is this the way to calculate how much storage I need on an ssd?? I only want my os and software running on it. My Adobe folder alone is approx 5 GB. Cyberlink says its 1.2 GB. Just 2 of my games alone take up approx. 110GB together. So thats more than what his type of calculation figured out. But is my friend correct in this is how you figure out how much space I'm gonna need?? I also know that windows 10-64 home is like 4 GB (right)?? Plus I also know that I need like extra space on the drive (not fill it up more than like 75-80%. At least that used to be true.
Help!

USAFRet

Titan

1. No, that's not the way to determine.
2. Win 10 takes up WAY more than "4GB"

If your current Program Files and ProgramFiles(x86) takes up 90GB, you need at least a 250GB drive.
But the totality of your OS and applications is much more than that.

And yes, you do NOT want to fill up an SSD.
For a 250GB drive, don't go over 200GB.

Solution