[SOLVED] How to delay the death or fix my memory

McSalad

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
(In this discussion i will be taking about the memory slots numbering them 1-4 where 1 is the closest slot to my CPU socket and 4 is the farthest and the first channel is 1 and 2 and the second one is 3 and 4)

I run a 6600k that i occasionally overclock, motherboard MSI z270 s02, ram Corsair dominator Platinum 2x8gb 2666Mhz, GPU palit gamerock GTX 1080 i bought from a crypto farming friend, boot drive 120gb wd green SATA m.2 SSD 2280, PSU Chieftec 650W CFT-650-14C

I have left my computer for around half a year off untouched, decided to turn it on recently and 1 stick of RAM in slot 2 isn't working, i take it out and put in a few times to make sure it has good contact, still doesn't work, i change the second stick that works from slot 4 to 3 and it worked, i switched them around it worked, i took the broken stick out and tested every slot and they all worked, took the broken one it didn't work anywhere, tried all possible configurations with both sticks and it only worked in slot 2 and 3, what could be the problem? The slot looks completely fine and i cleaned my motherboard, CPU and RAM with 99%ipa and still nothing new. My motherboard manual says the slot 2 and 4 are the best for 2 sticks and dual channel operation.

My power at home is not the cleanest but it's not bad usually is off by 1 to 2 volts (230v), frequency is normally off by 0.03-0.09 hz (50hz)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It is not clear why your pc would not work after sitting idle for a while.
Are both sticks from the same matched kit?

I suspect that the process of changing out the cpu may have damaged one of the socket pins. It is all to easily done if the chip is not dropped in cleanly and needs to be wiggled to seat it.
Socket pin damage often shows up as ram issues.

Your ram will have a lifetime warranty.
If there is no pin damage, then test the ram.
Be aware that sockets are delicate and only validated for 15 insertions.
Use memtest to test each stick individually in the slot that the motherboard manual recommends. If you get an error, contact Corsair for a replacement kit.
If each stick tests ok, then test them both together in the...

McSalad

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

PSU Chieftec 650W CFT-650-14C
The PSU is considered to be the heart of your system, please replace that unit for a reliably built one!
My bios is 7A59v27 (the newest one), the memory worked on it before and i changed everything (changed the motherboard and CPU at the same time because my brother doesn't run the same platform or architecture and i did test different ram in my motherboard) to know which variable it could be and it still has this weird behavior where it only works in some configurations so it is the memory but i don't know why

I suspect that the process of changing out the cpu may have damaged one of the socket pins. It is all to easily done if the chip is not dropped in cleanly and needs to be wiggled to seat it.

Use memtest to test each stick individually in the slot that the motherboard manual recommends. If you get an error, contact Corsair for a replacement kit.
If each stick tests ok, then test them both together in the recommended pair of slots.

Solution

McSalad

Commendable
Jan 11, 2021

If each stick tests ok, then test them both together in the recommended pair of slots.
In that case it's probably the socket, thank you! (They're from the same kit by the way)