[SOLVED] How to delete a shortcut icon that "doesn't exist"

Jan 9, 2021
Hello, I'm not super savy with computers, so bear with me,

My mother, somehow (who knows how) created a shortcut on the desktop. A shortcut not to a folder or file, but to a whole bunch of website URLs. The name of the file is crazy long. The file type is "internet shortcut (url)."

I can move the shortcut around on the desktop, but I can't delete it, I can't rename it, I can't move it into another folder. I can't compress it. I can't shred it.

I've tried deleting using command prompt and the RMDIR /S /Q command.... no good
I've tried deleting using command prompt and the del "\\?\C:\Users\Darlene\Desktop\(name of shortcut) "..... no good
I tried using Windows Powershell using the Remove-Item -Recurse -Force command ..... no good
When trying to shred it using Eraser program, is says it doesn't exist.

When I right click the icon I show only the following info/options:
Tqn4sHm.jpeg

Clicking on properties shows the following:
411192d1718061471t-how-delete-shortcut-url-address-desktop-capture7.jpg

So apparently, it has already been deleted? but Windows is still showing it? I am allowed to drag it around the desktop but that's it. Weird.

Any Suggestions? Not the biggest deal in the world, it isn't causing any harm, but it's just a mystery that begs to be solved.

thanks!

Go down to almost to the end of the page to where it says.

FAQs to Take Ownership of a Folder in Windows 10​

See if by taking ownership it lets you take control and than rename it and than delete.

It's the extremally long title that seems to get you in trouble and windows freaks out and than your stuck.

The maker of the website KNEW that and they do it on purpose. If your mom still wants that link just shorten 90% of the fluff words and you still can keep or trash like normal.

Jan 9, 2021
Go down to almost to the end of the page to where it says.

FAQs to Take Ownership of a Folder in Windows 10​

See if by taking ownership it lets you take control and than rename it and than delete.

It's the extremally long title that seems to get you in trouble and windows freaks out and than your stuck.

The maker of the website KNEW that and they do it on purpose. If your mom still wants that link just shorten 90% of the fluff words and you still can keep or trash like normal.
I tried, but I can't "take ownership". It doesn't give me the option when I right-click. Again, I have a feeling the shortcut doesn't really exist, so that's probably why there aren't the normal options when I right-click it.
Just weird.

Jan 9, 2021
Holy crap I did it! I was able to do it with 7-zip. I just stumbled upon the solution (happens all the time with computers)

I had read that by compressing and using the option of deleting the original file after compression , might get rid of the undeletable file (or in this case shortcut). However, I couldn't right click and use 7 zip on the shortcut.

I opened 7-zip directly, but couldn't add the shortcut for compression. However, I did a computer search for the name of the shortcut (in the desktop folder) and the search result WAS able to be right-clicked and compressed/deleted.

Crazy stuff, but somehow it worked. Thanks for the replies guys! (y):)

Jan 9, 2021
Neat, I'll have to remember that one.
I swear, I don't remember what, when or why, but it's in my head that sometimes it seams there are slightly different properties, or options to do things, to a file or folder when it appears in a search result, as opposed to trying to manipulate it directly. Can't remember for sure when I experienced it, but I seem to remember it.
Who cares lol. That stupid, unimportant shortcut was driving me nuts. Good Riddance :giggle:

Reactions: stonecarver
Jan 9, 2021
There are all kinds of non-ascii characters that can get into filenames which Windows handles poorly.

In general, what Windows cannot do, often 7-Zip can. Try using 7-Zip to delete the file or at least use it to rename things to something more Windows-friendly. I like the Portable version of 7-Zip.
Thanks for that reply. I had not seen your post before trying (and finally succeeding) to use 7-zip to remove the shortcut. I had tried 7-zip yesterday but couldn't get it to work, but finally stumbled upon the solution.