News How to Delete Duplicate Files in Linux with Fdupes

D

Deleted member 431422

Why would you create duplicate files even. They talk about user directory only. Thank heavens the author didn't mention root dir. Newcomers would use Windows mentality and clean "the system", then complain on forums how Linux stopped working.

Reactions: kyzarvs

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Why would you create duplicate files even. They talk about user directory only. Thank heavens the author didn't mention root dir. Newcomers would use Windows mentality and clean "the system", then complain on forums how Linux stopped working.

Well, I mean go try to delete your system32 folder and see what happens. Windows won't allow it.
Windows wins. Again.

unis_torvalds

Reputable
Jan 16, 2020
Windows won't allow it. Windows wins. Again.
And that's kind of the whole point of FOSS operating systems, isn't it. The vendor shouldn't win, the user should always win. But of course with closed proprietary OSes, whenever it comes down to user vs. vendor, it's MS (or Apple if you swing that way) who wins. In the FOSS world, users are in control of everything, period. It's like how we don't mandate speed governors on cars even though it means they can go over the speed limit. We just trust people to not be stupid. Do folks still get themselves into trouble? Of course. But such is the cost of freedom.

D

Deleted member 431422

Well, I mean go try to delete your system32 folder and see what happens. Windows won't allow it.
Windows wins. Again.
You'd have a hard time deleting duplicate files in system32 directory. Even if you created them intentionally, there might be some security policy preventing you from deleting it and Windows access rights are so convoluted, being an owner of a directory, an admin even, doesn't mean you can modify it.
I had to resort to linux to remove win7 from an old drive, because win10, which was somewhere else entirely, prevented me from deleting a broken install.

You see it's not black and white. Neither of these OS's are perfect. They cater to different people and this stupid, long lasting superiority argument is getting old.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
It's like how we don't mandate speed governors on cars even though it means they can go over the speed limit.
It's actually because if engines were designed with a maximum speed limit of the legal speed limit, they would be hitting close to the red line. Running an engine hard all the time is a great way to kill it faster.

And in some cases where there is a speed governor, like on trucks, it's usually for safety/maintenance reasons (do you really want a dual trailer semi packed to the brim running down the highway at 90MPH?)