How to delete Local Disk Z instructions from JaxRolo do not work for me

morlaine

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I use a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home.

I did not install anything new. But now I have a Local Disk Z in explorer. I found instructions to unplug my printer and turn the laptop off and on but the Local Disk Z is still there.

Then I found the instructions from Jax Rolo on this site and tried to follow those and got messages saying Access Denied and then that Z was an invalid command.

I'm at a loss. How do I get rid of this thing?
Do I have to be logged into Microsucks, whoops, Microsoft to be able to accomplish this? I don't log into MS unless it's a have to case.
Thanks for your help.

Solution
can you show us a screen shot of disc management?

if its related to this then the Z is sort of needed: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/What-the-Local-Disk-Z/td-p/5562838 though the drive letter isn't.

If Z is the EFI partiton, you don't want to remove it or you won't be able to boot into windows at all. When a UEFI bios boots, it looks for the EFI partition to locate the windows bootloader. Without an EFI the PC will just restart constantly when you try to start it

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a screen shot of disc management?

if its related to this then the Z is sort of needed: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/What-the-Local-Disk-Z/td-p/5562838 though the drive letter isn't.

If Z is the EFI partiton, you don't want to remove it or you won't be able to boot into windows at all. When a UEFI bios boots, it looks for the EFI partition to locate the windows bootloader. Without an EFI the PC will just restart constantly when you try to start it

Solution

morlaine

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Now when I look at File Explorer, the Z drive is not showing up. I did not do anything to get rid of it. So does that mean I should not turn my pc off because it won't start again? I think we're guessing at answers here.

I guess I should give up but I sure don't like someone else having their paws inside my computer without my permission, which obviously they do, since I didn't give anyone permission to create that drive.

I've had computers since the first TRS-80 on and have never had to have a Z drive before. I still say this is a Microsoft screwup.
Thanks for the attempt at help.