Question How to determine cause of my Win10 sys rebooting suddenly

Aug 29, 2022
Hello,

What's a good way for me to find out why my windows 10 system is rebooting frequently, without warning? This started Friday during work. All weekend it did not reboot suddenly, but then I started work again this AM and it rebooted in the middle of my typing an email.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you running any app while working that is not/was not being run over the weekend?

Maybe some app or tool was updated (may or may not be a work app per se) and the update is corrupted or buggy.....

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the reboots.

Start with Reliability History. Much more end user friendly and the timeline format can be very revealing. For example, some error code showing up until the weekend, stops appearing over the weekend, and does not reappear until you start some work app or related effort. VPN perhaps.

Event Viewer is more difficult to navigate and understand but with some effort you will get a sense of it all and be able to look for errors, etc..

Both tools allow you to click for more details. Unfortunately the details may or may not be helpful or even understandable. But still serve as a clue of sorts.

Aug 29, 2022
Thanks Ralston18! I'll look into those apps you mentioned Reliability History and Event Viewer.

My system specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
BIOS: American Megatrends P1.30, 8/1/2019
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Creator
32GB RAM

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
How does the reboot happen? Does the system momentarily freeze, the screen turns off and you see the BIOS logo, booting back into Windows? Or you see the usual "Restarting" screen and Windows itself restarts? Or does the entire rig go cold and start again? Below info could be useful:
*PSU make, model, wattage and age
*Idle/under load temperatures (Core Temp or HWMonitor gives you this info, might skip under load temps for now if you're suspecting of a PSU problem)
* Power/cleanliness status of the room the rig's in (room being dusty, pets, unstable electric grid, if an RCD or a surge protector is installed or not)