Question How to disable/change the automatic task scheduler task where it runs the UpdateOrchestrator that automatically looks for Windows updates?

omonoiatis9

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
How to disable/stop the automatic task scheduler task where it runs the UpdateOrchestrator that automatically looks for Windows updates from waking up my pc from sleep to do it?

I always put my PC on sleep at night and it always turns itself on at 3am which has been driving me crazy. Upon further investigation using powercfg -waketimers in an elevated command prompt I finally figured out why:

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at ˤ毎Ƴ on ☺殾Ƴ.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 02:59:30 on 29-Mar-23.
Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Wake To Work' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

I have no idea what the first one means (the gibberish you see is gibberish i see on the command prompt terminal too), but the 2nd one lines up with what I've been noticing: Wakes up at 3am. So it makes me think the culprit is the updateorchestrator forcing a wake up to look for updates. Or at least that's my theory. But when I go to my automatic windows update settings, I notice that I already set my "Active hours" to 1pm-7am. Which theoretically would mean that there should not be an automatic scheduler forcing wake ups at 3am, since that's considered to be my "active hours"?

Anyway, long story short, how do I get this stupid automatic wake ups gone, and still keep automatic updates on? Do I have to manually find that task in the windows scheduler and delete it? I also don't want to get rid of Wake On Lan because I need it.

EDIT: I found the task responsible in the task scheduler but it's impossible to uncheck the "Wake the computer to run this task" option even if I ran the task scheduler as admin. Even tried running powershell as admin and trying to disable the task entirely with that and I get an access denied error. I checked group policies and there's nothing enabled there, but still I disabled the group policy that said "Windows Update will use the Windows Power Management features to automatically wake up the system from sleep", just in case. No bueno as the task scheduler is still there and still not editable. Whenever I try to uncheck that box I get asked to enter a password for some weird username "S-1-5-18" that's definitely not me. If I use the dropdown to select another user that is me, and use my pass, or any pass on any user for that matter, I always get this error message: ""an error has occured for task schedule wake to work. Error message: The following error was reported: The supplied variant structure contains invalid data". "

The user account that is being ran for that task is "SYSTEM" but even after clicking "Change user or group" there's nothing there that seems to be able to let me select me as the user or something.

Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Managed to disable said task by following these instructions:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...cheduler/4ec2c460-7c2f-4593-b84f-c9b1687ae797

Last edited:

omonoiatis9

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
go in bios, change wakeup event from OS to BIOS, that way your OS wont wakeup ur PC

"Anyway, long story short, how do I get this stupid automatic wake ups gone, and still keep automatic updates on? Do I have to manually find that task in the windows scheduler and delete it? I also don't want to get rid of Wake On Lan because I need it."

TRENDING THREADS