How to disable Laptop Dedicated Graphics Driver

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hi. I have a HP-Pavilion dm4 laptop running on Windows 7-64 Bit with a dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon 5450 HD and an onboard Intel Graphics. My ATI graphics is currently burned so I had to disable the ATI Graphics in device manager in safe mode and enable my Intel graphics to get a display. (Using ATI Graphics causes no display after Windows Startup)

Last week, my friend unknowingly tried to turn on my ATI graphics and here's where the problem starts. I tried going into safe mode to disable the ATI graphics and enabling the Intel graphics, but whenever I restart my computer, the ATI graphics is enabled once again, seems as though the changes I made in Safe mode are not being saved. I go back into Safe mode, and find out that the ATI graphics gets automatically enabled. Tried disabling many times but it keeps getting re-enabled. So I decided to uninstall all ATI driver + software, but after restarting, my computer automatically downloads the ATI drivers and after a minute, it automatically activates my ATI drivers again and my display goes black.

1) Is there a way to permanently disable the ATI drivers, without it being automatically re-enabled again?
2) Is there a way to disable the automatic installation of ATI drivers after uninstalling it?

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

That is what I tried doing too, but my BIOS doesn't have any options to change the Primary Graphics Adapter. I went into Safe Mode and checked that the Catalyst isn't loading from startup, tried uninstalling Catalyst through the Add/Remove programs but it doesn't allow me to do it in Safe mode.

JuX

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I've googled about removing the graphics card from your motherboard, but it sadly can't be done.
Did you try disabling the device on the device manager? I'm running out of ideas here :/

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Yes, that was the first thing I did. After disabling the ATI graphics, it keeps getting re-enabled once I shutdown or restart the laptop.

Yeah, unfortunately the graphics card isn't removable since it comes together with the motherboard. Dismantled my entire laptop yesterday at an attempt to permanently remove the ATI graphics card and to my disappointment it ain't removable.

ZupyTupy

Reputable
May 12, 2014

I have exactly the same problem with a burned ATI graphics and the solution is perfect:). I'm on Win 8.1.