Question How to disable onboard graphics on asrock b450m pro4-f

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
mobo:Asrock b450m pro4-f

cpu:Ryzen 5 3400g

discrete gpu: GTX 750ti

I was using the onboard grapics of the 3400g for a while now and decided to try my old gtx750ti, I plugged it in and it worked even nothing is changed in the bios.

While I'm about to download the driver for the GTX 750ti and planning on using DDU, suddenly my monitor blacked out saying it cant detect signal from the source.
I transferred my connected cable to the onboard graphics without resetting still nothing.
So I reset the pc and it has display when connected to the onboard graphics.
but when I try to use the discrete GPU, it doesnt work. Monitor only says no signal is detected.

is my GTX 750ti dead? or do I have to disable the igpu to use the discrete gpu?

Please help thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
List yours pecs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Also, you should've gotten DDU and removed the AMD GPU drivers from the system prior to dropping in the discrete GPU. Might also want to see if removng the CMOS battery and replacing it brings back display.

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
It would appear that your GTX 750Ti has failed. Does it require external power from the power supply and if so, is the power connected? You do NOT need to disable the on-board graphics.

-Wolf sends

no it doesnt need external power. I was afraid that the 750ti might be broken because it came from a broken motherboard, and past motherboard broke because it has a broken transistor near the PCI e where the gpu is located, and i tried to ran it back then.

Last edited:

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
List yours pecs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Also, you should've gotten DDU and removed the AMD GPU drivers from the system prior to dropping in the discrete GPU. Might also want to see if removng the CMOS battery and replacing it brings back display.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G
Motherboard: Asrock B450m Pro4-F
Ram: Hyperx Fury 2x4gb 2666mhz
SSD/HDD: 1TB Western Digital blue
GPU: GTX 750ti
PSU: RedDragon 500 watts
Chassis: Techware EdgeTG

Yes I tried resetting cmos via battery removal and shorting cmos doodad. still no display on the discrete, only on the onboard.

Wolfshadw

Titan
no it doesnt need external power. I was afraid that the 750ti might be broken because it came from a broken motherboard, and past motherboard broke because it has a broken transistor near the PCI e where the gpu is located, and i tried to ran it back then.

I'd test the card out in another computer that currently uses a discrete graphics card just to make sure the card is dead. The only other possibility that I can think of would be the PCI-Ex16 slot on your motherboard has failed.

The ASRock B450M Pro4-F has two PCI-Ex16 expansion slots. You've installed the card into the slot closest to the CPU and it's not working? If so, try installing it into the second PCI-Ex16 slot just to see if the card works there. If it does, then your motherboard may be faulty. If not, then it's very likely the card has failed.

-Wolf sends

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
I'd test the card out in another computer that currently uses a discrete graphics card just to make sure the card is dead. The only other possibility that I can think of would be the PCI-Ex16 slot on your motherboard has failed.

The ASRock B450M Pro4-F has two PCI-Ex16 expansion slots. You've installed the card into the slot closest to the CPU and it's not working? If so, try installing it into the second PCI-Ex16 slot just to see if the card works there. If it does, then your motherboard may be faulty. If not, then it's very likely the card has failed.

-Wolf sends

I hope the PCI-Es' on my system is not busted because its fairly new, I tried on both, still no display maybe this card is dead, I'm still gonna try it out on another system. Thanks for the suggestions, but I didn't really got my answer which is how to disable the onboard graphics on this motherboard, just so I know. Do you have any idea?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Again, you don't want to disable your on-board graphics, but if you're really determined to, I think the setting might be under the Advanced Menu/AMD PBS settings in your motherboard BIOS. Since your motherboard manual doesn't go into details there, I cannot say for sure.

-Wolf sends

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Again, you don't want to disable your on-board graphics, but if you're really determined to, I think the setting might be under the Advanced Menu/AMD PBS settings in your motherboard BIOS. Since your motherboard manual doesn't go into details there, I cannot say for sure.

-Wolf sends

Why wouldn't I want to disable the onboard? Even when I have a working discrete gpu should I not disable the on-board first?

Yes, I tried messing with those menus' but there is no direct option to disable it. Maybe you are right that I really don't have to disable it even with a discrete gpu. but then again, why?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Let's put it this way. You disable on-board graphics and install a discrete graphics card.
Your graphics card fails (like your GTX 750Ti apparently did) and you do not have a replacement card.
How can you see anything on your display if your on-board graphics are disabled?

Having on-board graphics enabled even when a discrete graphics card is installed does not affect performance in any significant way. There is no reason to disable them.

-Wolf sends

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Let's put it this way. You disable on-board graphics and install a discrete graphics card.
Your graphics card fails (like your GTX 750Ti apparently did) and you do not have a replacement card.
How can you see anything on your display if your on-board graphics are disabled?

Having on-board graphics enabled even when a discrete graphics card is installed does not affect performance in any significant way. There is no reason to disable them.

-Wolf sends

I see, if that is the reason why, then I'm confused because I'm seeing people advising other people to disable the onboard graphics on APUs' when having a discrete gpu. Anyway thanks again for answering.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's just one of those things that gets blown out of proportion. Someone online says they've seen an immense performance increase because they disabled on-board graphics and the whole world goes with it (never mind the real reason for the performance increase). Now everyone says to do it.

-Wolf sends

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
Well .. integrated gpu eats up system memory. So you're left with less ram, than you normally would have.
That's pretty good reason to make sure integrated is disabled, if you're using discrete card.

Uh-huh, Well I noticed since I have 8GB of ram, I only have 6GB usable and I realized that the 2GB missing is for the dedicated GPU, so if I disabled the dedicated GPU then slap a discrete GPU, will I get my 2GB back?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I never disable integrated gpus. All I ever do is in bios change the Primary graphics from integrated to discrete. And never, ever! Delete/DDU integrated drivers. For one, you may or may not find replacements and secondly they can be a serious pain to reinstall and get them working as they should since they have ties to windows drivers and settings.

Doubtful you'll get much of that 2Gb back. Between gpu, hardware allocation, hiberfil.sys and other stuff, memory is always slightly used, same with storage.

Boogyman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
I never disable integrated gpus. All I ever do is in bios change the Primary graphics from integrated to discrete. And never, ever! Delete/DDU integrated drivers. For one, you may or may not find replacements and secondly they can be a serious pain to reinstall and get them working as they should since they have ties to windows drivers and settings.

Doubtful you'll get much of that 2Gb back. Between gpu, hardware allocation, hiberfil.sys and other stuff, memory is always slightly used, same with storage.

This now is confusing, LOL, I know 2GB is not that much but for an 8GB ram, it'll help.