[SOLVED] How to disable the sound of the disc drive booting up when starting my computer?

mrkk793

Prominent
Dec 4, 2021
Whenever I start up my computer, I can hear the disc drive booting up. It really annoys me because it makes a loud rambling sound like it's being stress tested. The drive works flawlessly. The model is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH82N.

Solution
What if the disc drive is listed first in the boot option in the BIOS before the hard drive/SSD?
Would that cause it to try and start up when the OP starts his PC?

that's exactly what happens. the drive is listed as a boot option so it has to check and see if there is a bootable disk on start-up to boot from. can't do that unless it starts the drive to check.

plus it is part of the hardware test performed. everything attached is tested at post to make sure it is working. the ONLY way to stop it is to disconnect the drive so it is not tested at start-up.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
What if the disc drive is listed first in the boot option in the BIOS before the hard drive/SSD?
Would that cause it to try and start up when the OP starts his PC?

that's exactly what happens. the drive is listed as a boot option so it has to check and see if there is a bootable disk on start-up to boot from. can't do that unless it starts the drive to check.

plus it is part of the hardware test performed. everything attached is tested at post to make sure it is working. the ONLY way to stop it is to disconnect the drive so it is not tested at start-up.

Solution