[SOLVED] How to do a fresh install of windows on a new SSD for a prebuilt?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
It's been a while since I've been on this site.

Recently I got a Kingston 240 GB SSD for my pc build (I'm slowly getting the parts) and it's been siting in the case that I bought for a while now. I want to know if I can unplug the hard drive in this prebuilt that I'm using, install the SSD, and do a fresh install of Windows. Obviously I can save my data, which is less that 240 GB. So, is it possible, and can I do it?

Solution
Possible?
Sure.

Create a Win 10 USB
Disconnect the old drive
Put in this Kingston (you should have not bought that, but whatever)
Boot from your Win 10 USB
Install.

Read through this a couple of times.

USAFRet

Titan
Possible?
Sure.

Create a Win 10 USB
Disconnect the old drive
Install.

Solution

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Possible?
Sure.

Create a Win 10 USB
Disconnect the old drive
Install.

Oh hey, I remember you.

I already got Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, forgot to mention that.
Also, are Kingston SSDs bad? Should I return it before it's too late? It hasn't been used yet.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Yes, I'd exchange it.
We see FAR too many issues with kingstons around here.

And 240GB is pretty small.
What other storage devices will be in this?
I just checked the return policy, turns out I'm too late. Good to know, hopefully this one doesn't kill itself on me.

I'm reusing the 1 TB hard drive in the prebuilt for storage. The SSD is for only windows and some other things that I want to be faster. But since I can't use it only for windows right now (can't do the pc build yet) I'm just using this SSD for the time being.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
I just checked the return policy, turns out I'm too late. Good to know, hopefully this one doesn't kill itself on me.

I'm reusing the 1 TB hard drive in the prebuilt for storage. The SSD is for only windows and some other things that I want to be faster. But since I can't use it only for windows right now (can't do the pc build yet) I'm just using this SSD for the time being.
Nevermind again, I can return it. Thanks for telling me. Are there any SSDs that you can suggest?