Question How to download google sheet to memory drive

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello, every time I try to download a google sheet document it downloads to a "XLSX" file then when I try to open it it always try to open in workpad, which in-turn ends up just garbled. I wold like to save some google sheets documents on a memory stick. I have tried the basic stuff.

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I understand but windows 10 for me defaults with word pad to open a down loaded file. Either when I try to open the downloaded file on the desktop or when its on the memory stick.

USAFRet

Titan
yes I have excel on my computer
So then change the association for .xlsx from WordPad to Excel.

In Settings, Default apps, Choose default apps by file type:
84QYxLz.png

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Yes mine is 2003. I don't use excel much anymore pretty much got use to google sheets and docs but I wanted to backup and move some files with a memory stick. Is there any other solution other than up dating excel or MS office?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes mine is 2003. I don't use excel much anymore pretty much got use to google sheets and docs but I wanted to backup and move some files with a memory stick. Is there any other solution other than up dating excel or MS office?
For your use case, the free alternative, LibreOffice should work.

But also, moving files to a memory stick does not require you to 'open' them.
Simply save to your system, and copy to the flash drive.

No need to 'open' it.

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Yes, I understand I can move files but feel more secure if I want to open them from the memory stick it will open.
I was checking into LibreOfffice but not sure what to do with it. Do I start by downloading it, then what?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I understand I can move files but feel more secure if I want to open them from the memory stick it will open.
I was checking into LibreOfffice but not sure what to do with it. Do I start by downloading it, then what?
Opening it from the flash drive is no different than opening it from your hard drive.
If you don't have an application that will recognize that .xlsx...then your system will try to default to WordPad. Which doesn't work correctly.

LibreOffice is just another application. Download it and install it.
See what happens.

Jan 9, 2019
Hold the Shift down and right click the file you want to open. Click on "Open with" then click on excel if its listed. If its not then click on "Look for another App". When this opens you have to click on "More Apps" until you get "Find more apps on this PC" This will get you to your "Program Files" folder. Just locate the Excel app (It may be in Program Files (x86) and then choose excel. It should open then. If you dont have office then you can download LibreOffice or OpenOffice and open them with that. They are both free.

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Before I do that how do I stop the downloaded file to stop auto opening in wordpad. It use to stay at the bottom of my screen so I could manipulate it the way I want, not it goes right into wordpad and is garbled. I know someplace I changed how the file is treated, now I can't undo that.

Jan 9, 2019
Hold shift and right click on the file.
Open with..
Choose another app
Put a check in "Always open this extension with this app"
Locate the LibreOffice App that is opening the file or choose it from the list if its already there.

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Okay I got that, thanks but what I want is when I download a google file I want it to stay at the bottom of my screen so I can drag it to another location. It use to do this until I accidentally changed something.

Jan 9, 2019
In chrome, you will see the 3 dots on the upper right hand side. Click that and then click "Downloads". The file you got should be in that list.
Chrome usually downloads to the "Users\usersname\downloads" folder. I think however you will always need to Export the document before its usable. Chrome will always try to open its own documents.

billybronco

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Okay I got everything working the way I want and I thank everyone for there help. I actually find LibreOffice to be very cool the short time I have played with it.
So my goal is to get all personal data off my computer and off the cloud. So tell me if I'm missing anything.

Files deleted of any cloud storage
Files deleted off computer hard drive
Clear download folder
Delete files off LibreOffice
Save files on memory stick

Did I miss anything?