[SOLVED] How to download IMAP email files as text/Word files?

pnartg

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
I have an email account on a webhost that uses SMTP/IMAP protocol. I have thousands of emails on there that I want to save as ordinary text or Word document (docx) files. How can I do that efficiently? It's too labor-intensive to have to manually open each one in a web-browser and copy-and-paste the FROM: address, the TO: address, the SUBJECT: and the body. I currently don't use a client - I use a web interface but I'll install a client if it offers a solution.

I've visited discussion forums for Thunderbird and Outlook and people were asking similar questions but finding it hard to get good answers.
A web search showed up this article (https://www.lifewire.com/save-emails-as-plain-text-outlook-1173728) - but I saw other people say the resulting files are cluttered with HTML or XML. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

pnartg

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
There's no HTML in email I read on the screen. It should be like a web browser - sure, there's embedded HTML to format the web page but if you save the text of a web page to a text document, or copy and paste it into something else the HTML is stripped off. There's no reason an email message should be any different. If I copy and paste an email message into some other document the HTML doesn't come along, so I should be able to export or save it the same way - sans HTML.

USAFRet

Titan
There's no HTML in email I read on the screen. It should be like a web browser - sure, there's embedded HTML to format the web page but if you save the text of a web page to a text document, or copy and paste it into something else the HTML is stripped off. There's no reason an email message should be any different. If I copy and paste an email message into some other document the HTML doesn't come along, so I should be able to export or save it the same way - sans HTML.
The email client (Outlook) or in the browser is already rendering the HTML.

Saving the source, to incl To/From/Body....it may well be the bare ascii of the body. Which means all the HTML/XML tags.

A very convoluted train of Outlook -> Access -> Word could save these as individual Word files. Or rows in an Access DB.
I've done that before.