How to empty undeletable files in recycle bin

rafcord79

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I cannot totally empty my recycle bin , there are some undeletable files that when I tried to delete it some window pops out and say '' you cannot delete this file ''

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode and emptying the Recycle Bin in that mode? Startup your computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Windows Startup Menu displays, select Safe mode.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Backup your files (if you don't already keep regular backups)

Click on the Start Button->Run and type CMD and press Enter

This will open up a Command Prompt Window

In this window type: chkdsk /r and press Enter Key

When it asks you if you want to schedule this check for the next time you start your computer type Y for yes and press Enter Key

Close the Command Prompt Window

Restart your computer and let it perform the disk check

When Windows gets to the Desktop, try Emptying the Recycle Bin again

Let me know how it goes.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ok rafcord79, time for drastic measures... well ok not so drastic, but I'm thinking that this will solve the issue.

You can take ownership of the C:\RECYCLER folder by right clicking on it and selecting the Security Tab->Advanced Button->Owner Tab and replace ownership on all subcontainers and objects, and give yourself full permissions and replace on children for the RECYCLER directory at the root of the disk.
* Note: If you are running XP Home, the Security Tab only shows up when you start your computer in Safe Mode.

Then just shift-delete the Recycle Folder (this bypasses the Recycle Bin).

The folder and recycle bin will be recreated the next time you try to delete something.

Incidentially I learned something new in troubleshooting this problem. In your stated access denied filename df2481, the d stands for deleted file and the f is the drive from which it was deleted appearantly. Do you have an F: drive?

rafcord79

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
yes I have an F: drive which I used as slave . Those files actually comes from my F: drive and I just deleted it using The " unlocker " But when those files comes to the recycle bin , I cannot delete it. Thanks!

gumby777

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Try to remember which drive the corrupt files were removed from;
(if you are not sure, you will need to do the following 2 simple
steps, to every HDD you have connected to your computer):

>>> Step 1: RENAME the corrupted RECYCLER folder, to "zz_recycler-dir-bad.ignore";
>>> Step 2: Reboot.

You still may not be able to delete those files, so leave it as a folder that you
will just ignore, from this point on. The "zz_" will make sure that it is placed
at the end of your folder list, and should stay out of your way, for the
most-part. :)