How to enable "Domain style" logon

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have a workgroup based computer here that I want to have a "Domain style" logon (Ctrl+Alt+Del, then show the last user logged on along with the "Other User" option.) After Googling for awhile and trying different methods, I am only able to get the classic logon (The empty picture frame with username and password prompt - nothing else). The computer is running Windows 7 Professional.

I would like to have this style of logon for a workgroup computer because most of the other computers on our network are connected to the Domain, this one will not be - but I want the users to use a familiar interface to them so they are comfortable using it (oh, and so I can use the hidden administration account ;) ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
now that's interesting. i'm adding those keys to my book just in case it comes up again. looking around i had nothing even close to this as a solution.

nice work :) glad you fixed it yourself as i was hitting dead ends on my side.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well..... ahhhhh..... you see what had happened was........ the cat had run across the keyboard..........

sorry i missed that piece somehow. if i recall correctly you do this by joining the domain. once this is done, the log in screen should be there like you want.

now if i can only recall how to join a domain..... let me look tat one up again as it has been a long time since i joined a domain in win 7 pro.

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

It's okay, it happens! I can try to join the domain, as that is the logon type that I want, but wont it reset the screen if I leave the domain? The computer needs to stay out of the domain and remain in the workgroup, but I just want the welcome screen to reflect a domain rather than the workgroup.

EDIT: Leaving the domain (which needs to happen) resets the login screen back to the default Windows 7 one.

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Oops, I solved my own problem!

To get what I was looking for I had to add the following registry value to the key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System":
HideFastUserSwitching (DWORD value: 1)
LogonType (DWORD value: 0)
DisableCAD (DWORD value: 0)

And a blank key here: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\DomainStyleLogon

That blank key looks to be a bug, but hey, it works.
The other three were originally changed in GroupPolicy

The first one hides the user switching, obviously.
The second enables the classic logon, but will only work if you turn on the Ctrl+Alt+Del on logon, which is what the third entry does.

Thanks for your help!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
now that's interesting. i'm adding those keys to my book just in case it comes up again. looking around i had nothing even close to this as a solution.

nice work :) glad you fixed it yourself as i was hitting dead ends on my side.

Solution