[SOLVED] How to enable external/discrete GPU in Asrock h410m-hdv BIOS?

May 23, 2021
Hi guys!

I just cant enable my GPU in BIOS. At least I think I should enable it in BIOS.
I had Radeon RX580 in my old computer, bought new one that has Asrock h410m-hdv motherboard with onboard graphics. When I put graphics card inside, nothing hapens. Device manager on my Windows 10 64bits doesnt see it.

Here is link with my motherboard model and bios version:
https://ibb.co/86Jx0Dr

Tried to mess with bios, but there is no option to change primary graphics card to PCI, only auto:
https://ibb.co/S77xpn3

How should I change it in bios so that GPU is my primary or enable PCI slot? Is that even problem? Should device manager see it without any bios changes?
Please help, thank you..

Solution
if your board has just auto option, then gpu gets primary based on where u connect your monitor, if you connect it to your dedicated gpu, it will be your primary gpu
if mainbosrd cant initialise your gpu, then thats another story
May 23, 2021
if your board has just auto option, then gpu gets primary based on where u connect your monitor, if you connect it to your dedicated gpu, it will be your primary gpu
if mainbosrd cant initialise your gpu, then thats another story

Thank you kerberos!
If i do that, screen stays black..should I try it with DVI? I tried with HDMI but that doesnt work. I supose cable type shouldnt matter.
If that is so, my guess is that probably GPU is somehow broken.
I can try it on some other computer, that is my only option.

Thank you kerberos!
If i do that, screen stays black..should I try it with DVI? I tried with HDMI but that doesnt work. I supose cable type shouldnt matter.
If that is so, my guess is that probably GPU is somehow broken.
I can try it on some other computer, that is my only option.
yes, try your GPU in anothjer PC if possible, are you sure thatt the PSU in the new PC is adequate for that GPU as the rx 580 is a bit power hungry

May 23, 2021
yes, try your GPU in anothjer PC if possible, are you sure thatt the PSU in the new PC is adequate for that GPU as the rx 580 is a bit power hungry

I searched on web and found that i need minimum 500W PSU..mine is 460W and im using sata to pcie adapter because I dont have direct 6 pin cable from my psu.
But according to web, smaller power supply than 500W can handle that GPU..
Maybe it can but not with adapter but directly?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I searched on web and found that i need minimum 500W PSU..mine is 460W and im using sata to pcie adapter because I dont have direct 6 pin cable from my psu.
But according to web, smaller power supply than 500W can handle that GPU..
Maybe it can but not with adapter but directly?

What is the exact power supply? There's a reason that the best practice when asking a question about a possible hardware issue is to provide complete specs, so threads aren't constantly derailed by requests to get basic information.

A power supply that claims to be 460W and doesn't have a single PCIE connection is either not a 460W PSU and is lying or is junk. Typically both.

Reactions: mmenta
May 23, 2021
What is the exact power supply? There's a reason that the best practice when asking a question about a possible hardware issue is to provide complete specs, so threads aren't constantly derailed by requests to get basic information.

A power supply that claims to be 460W and doesn't have a single PCIE connection is either not a 460W PSU and is lying or is junk. Typically both.

Sry for not posting complete specs DSzymborsky, I thought its related just with bios, otherwise I would put this in graphics card, not in motherboards..

Proc: Intel Celeron G5905 CPU @ 3,50GHz, 3500MHz, 2 cores, 2 log proc(attached in link on photo)
MB: asrock h410m-hdv
SSD power plus, EMTEC x150 ,480GB
RAM:8 GB

I had other PSU and I installed it, and it is this model:
IG-4560 560W
Here is casing image: https://ibb.co/6ynxrxD

But still, nothing happends.

I have Energon eps-550 PSU at home, but not here where I am now, and that was PSU that was originaly with that GPU and it worked. I'll try that one next week when I get it.
Here is link to eps-550: https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/eps-550
Here is casing image: https://ibb.co/M124P8H

Thing is that this epson that was originally with that GPU has bigger amperage outputs(you can compare casing images), and probably thats the problem if the problem is with PSU .
I had no idea that PSU can effect GPU and that PSU that is 560W can have worse performance than PSU that is 550W. Thank you so much for learning me this. I'll reply again as soon as I try original PSU.

your GPU just needs 12volts, that energon has 450 watts on 12v rails, while your current PSU has just measly 240watts, gpu isnt the only one who needs 12v, cpu ram and pci-e slots on mobo use it aswell

im wondering, your mainboard has 8pin 12v EPS connector for powering your CPU and pci-express slots, are u using adapter on this connector aswell? coz your psu has just 1x 4pin

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yikes, the current PSU is frightening; this should not have even have been turned on with this GPU. The Energon is quite low quality as well, a group-regulated PSU that's at least a decade old given the ATX version and the woeful specs. But at least a significantly higher output bad PSU than this one is.

Hopefully, the RX 580 has not been damaged. Quality power delivery is always important to maximize the probability that your GPU has a long life, but now that a used RX 580 is going for in the neighborhood of triple what a new one cost last year, the cost/benefit shifts quite a bit. Recycle the IG, test the GPU on the Energon and cross your fingers, and before using (hopefully this one) an RX 580, get a proper PSU. Doesn't have to be some fancy high-end PSU, but a Corsair CX 550 is the least expensive budget PSU worth spending money on if you have a discrete GPU.