How to enable RGB on Case fans

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hi. Sorry for being a total noob on this. I just built a new PC gaming rig which came with 1 rear exhaust fan. I decided to buy 4 RGB Cooler Masterfan MF120L RGB to install on my case.

The fans come with 2 sets of cables, one is a 3 pin connector and I think the second cable is a 4pin connector? I'm using a MSI Z370 Tomahawk that has 4 sys_fan. I initially tried attaching the 4pin cable into the motherboard but it didn't seem like it fit, so I plugged in the 3 pin connector.

After turning on PC, the fans work, but there is no LED light.

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

Try installing the Cooler master controller for RGB

Geef

Distinguished
I use an Asus Z270 Mark1. It has a program that controls the lights called Asus Aura. You should check and see if your motherboard does something similar. Also the 4 pin fan plug is for controlling fan speed. Having the motherboard be able to adjust speed how you like it.

One fan cable is power/control, second one is RGB. You have to connect one to your motherboard 'sysfan' and connect the other to your motherboard RGB slot. If you don't have enough RGB connectors on the motherboard, you have to get a hub (or an extension wire with multiple connectors) or RGB led controller.

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I wasn't sure if both cables had to be connected or if I only needed one. Since my motherboard only comes with 1 RGB header, you're saying my solution is to get a RGB hub and connect the 4pin cable to that, and then download the RGB LED controller software?

Exactly. Software from motherboard manufacturer

mjong99

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I have installed the cooler master RGB led controller software, and plugged in my fan into the RGB header in the motherboard and the 3pin into sys_fan. Turning on the PC, my fan now has red LED turned on. But when I launch the RGB LED controller, it doesn't go past the splash screen which says "Plug in your CM device to get started"