How to estimate power consumption? and GPU upgrading

Kyscool

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Hello there !
I'm having issues upgrading my desktop. Here is what I'm wondering :
This desktop has :
- 240W PSU (Not upgradable in any way I've searched across all the internet and beyond space)
- 12Gigs DDR3
- i7-3770 3.4Ghz
- 500GB HDD
- 1 (small) Fan
And all the usual connections (usb, VGA ports that go along with it).

My first question is :
How can I estimate the power consumption of the whole computer at anytime ?

My second is :
[I've seen several videos/topic about upgrading this particular desktop (Which is, i forgot to mention the SSF Optiplex 7010)]
Can I upgrade it to a GTX 1050Ti LP from:
• MSI GTX 1050Ti LP 4G : ✓✓
• Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti OC LP 4G: ??

[TL;DR] :
• How can I estimate the power consumption ?
• Can I install a 75W GPU in this lil' box ?
• What will risk the desktop if i go over the 240W when the OC mode is activated on Gigabyte's 1050TI OC LP ?

Any help is needed, I'm really interested and I want to learn more ! Thanks !

Solution
That is pushing it as far as the PSU goes. A generic 300W is recommended as the minimum. But the good news is that there are several posters on this forum that have that same combination and running fine. My Optiplex 790 SFF for instance, is running a GTX 750 Ti L-P on the same 240W PSU. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter ( https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU ) to check total wattage and amperage used when running Intel Burn and Furmark at the same time. You'll never stress your system as bad as that in real life gaming. The load stayed well below the max specs of the PSU. Of course, the 1050 Ti will be a slightly greater load.

Understand... you would do this at your own risk. Normally, the PSU will...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is pushing it as far as the PSU goes. A generic 300W is recommended as the minimum. But the good news is that there are several posters on this forum that have that same combination and running fine. My Optiplex 790 SFF for instance, is running a GTX 750 Ti L-P on the same 240W PSU. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter ( https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU ) to check total wattage and amperage used when running Intel Burn and Furmark at the same time. You'll never stress your system as bad as that in real life gaming. The load stayed well below the max specs of the PSU. Of course, the 1050 Ti will be a slightly greater load.

Understand... you would do this at your own risk. Normally, the PSU will simply shut down when overloaded. But there is always the possibility that it will die. And if it dies a catastrophic death, it may take out other components it is connected to. But Dell uses good quality PSUs and they are usually underrated.

While I can't recommend you run a card of that wattage on the 240W PSU, I would have no issues doing it myself.

Solution

Kyscool

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Thanks for the answer.

Now there's a last problem :
I have 2 choices :
- MSI GTX 1050TI LP
Or
- Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC LP

They (APPARENTLY) have the same power consumption : 75W

Since the OC version (Gigabyte) is 30£ more than the MSI GPU, is it worth buying it (The main goal of this GPU is gaming) ?
Does it improves performances that much ?

Kyscool

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Because the PSU isn't standard (8×8×6cm or smth)
It is more mhmm..
20*5*7cm

I've searched across the internet already ! But surprisingly this very kind of PSU isn't that common lol!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't think I'd push my luck with an OC'ed version of the card. The stock watts are marginal already. 50MHz (boost clock) probably equals around 2-5 fps in actual gaming.