[SOLVED] How to extend a weak WiFi signal from outside to inside my place?

Mar 7, 2019
Hello,
I live above the city where i catch a weak open WiFi signal 5 GHz in one of my laptop´s really closer at the window and my intention its to some how repeat that signal to inside my house by WiFi.
I was wondering if a high gain dual band antenna outdoor or indoor would help and witch one´s? Or a WiFi router or repeater would help more?

Solution
Why would only need 5 GHz? Does it catch 2.4 GHz also?
Open hotspots here its growing and depending on the hardware dont know if i catch signal from more that now im unable, so if could have 2.4 too that will be cool.
Your original post said you had a "weak open WiFi signal 5 GHz" so that is what I picked hardware for. You didn't say anything about 2.4Ghz. Directional bridges are generally single band. You could get better bandwidth if you stick with 5Ghz since there is less congestion in the 5Ghz spectrum. Ubiquiti has models for either band. Engeniuz has a dual band, but I believe it is much more expensive.

kanewolf

Titan
A directional outdoor wireless bridge, like a ubiquiti nanostation would be my recommendation. You mount it outside pointed at the WIFI signal. You then bring the network inside via an ethernet cable and connect that ethernet cable to the WAN port on a WIFI router.

Mar 7, 2019
A directional outdoor wireless bridge, like a ubiquiti nanostation would be my recommendation. You mount it outside pointed at the WIFI signal. You then bring the network inside via an ethernet cable and connect that ethernet cable to the WAN port on a WIFI router.
I did search ubiquiti but didn't found a dual band antenna on them. Only separated.
I don't have direct view from where the signal came, but almost, from the origin so don't know if that will be bad for a directional antenna... I'm ignorant in that.
Do you know more brands but with dual band?

Do you have a recommendation about a router with open source firmware for the antenna able to expand the signal across a few walls?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019
For outdoors, you would only need the 5Ghz. The ethernet cable brings the network inside to whatever router you want. That router can be dual band.
Open hotspots here its growing and depending on the hardware dont know if i catch signal from more that now im unable, so if could have 2.4 too that will be cool.

kanewolf

Titan
Your original post said you had a "weak open WiFi signal 5 GHz" so that is what I picked hardware for. You didn't say anything about 2.4Ghz. Directional bridges are generally single band. You could get better bandwidth if you stick with 5Ghz since there is less congestion in the 5Ghz spectrum. Ubiquiti has models for either band. Engeniuz has a dual band, but I believe it is much more expensive.

Reactions: skipsenta
Solution
Mar 7, 2019
Ok thanks, now i know the basics for what i want.