How to extend partition to a non-contiguous space?

HuiDoge

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
https://imgur.com/Ju2XbCA

I am trying to extend the Windows partition so that it'll include the 455gb unallocated space. I had just cloned a smaller drive to a newer one using macrium reflect and of course, I want the new space to be usable!

Tanyac

Reputable
Only Dynamic disks can have non-contiguous space in the partitions, and that excludes boot/system and fat32 partitions. (The default Windows partitions are "Basic" disks)

Although, I do recall seeing somewhere that MiniTool's Partition Wizard made claims that it could do it on non-dynamic disks. I've never actually tried it.

If you are going to do this make sure you back up everything before you try. Good Luck

USAFRet

Titan

The "best way" is to remove anything off that physical drive you wish to keep to some other location.
Then, delete ALL existing partitions on it, leaving one large blank space.
Reformat and give it a drive letter.

USAFRet

Titan

You cloned from one to the other, correct?
Assuming you did this correctly, everything from the source drive ended up on the target drive.
Correct?

Ergo...there is nothing on the source drive that needs to be kept.

Or are you talking about the current C drive?
If so...that is a whole different story.
And trying to merge these partitions is perilous.

You absolutely need to make a viable tested backup, just in case things go wrong.

But....just to be absolutely clear...which drive are we speaking of?
Can you do a better screencap of your Disk Management window? Indicating which drive is which...

HuiDoge

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Update: successfully cloned thru MacriumReflect after wiping using Diskpart

New question:
- Right now I have 2 drives connected to my laptop, one thru the internal m.2 slot and the other thru a pcie external m.2 bay.
- when in the boot menu I do not see the external disk
- I want to test boot from it to see if it works, that's all, but if you guys think I should be fine I'll go ahead and swap em?

USAFRet

Titan

Swap them. Not being able to boot from an external is the normal course of action.