Question How to Fake or Create Virtual CPU Cores or Threads on Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not really Terry. Farcry is also on consoles and need minimum 3 cores/threads. A console's os is lean by design to free up as much resource as possible on the primary core.

Core 0 starts the process then trickles the rest of the cores. Correct me if im wrong, I don't think the primary core can be bypassed without the process starting there first due to caching link?

Apr 25, 2019
If Windows registers 4 cores then its six siege. Like farcry 4/5/new dawn, ubi use core detection as you know. No idea where this is.

Could try verify the game files.

Do you have this game on Steam or Uplay? Steam can backup games into an installer, not sure about uplay. Could try reinstall the game so it re-scans the system if that is how their core detection works. Might as well reinstall Uplay too incase thats at fault.

Identify the problem before applying a solution

I believe boju might have hit the nail on the head. Many games make an ini file on install, that doesn't get updated usually. Swapping out the cpu wouldn't change anything, that ini file is still running as it was. When opening the game, the ini file gets read first, and it's prolly reading something inane like 'quad thread = "false"' and shutting it down.

I have been trying literally everything to find a solution. Nothing worked or made any difference at all starting from hardware to bios to windows to the game itself

and I don't wanna reinstall the windows for no reason i need to make sure it would solve the problem. They fixed this issue for the game "For Honor" in like 2 days after like 50 people reported it on steam forums

USAFRet

Titan
Ubisoft devs? devs who made the game? And they never gave us details about the cause of this issue or how they solve it. My system? running the game? XD
"running the game?"

Is that...not running it at all?
If so, then you have other issues.

Your hardware specs seem to support that game as is.

Your initial question/statement of "Is there any way to fake at least threads or create virtual ones? Same for cpu cores " would seem to be looking to "add" cores or threads.
What leads you to believe that your system lacks the requisite number of cores to run that game?
Or that adding/faking that config is the "solution"?

Symptom
Problem
Solution

You have a semi-stated "symptom" - 'running the game'. Is that not running at all, or running badly?
You've not identified the "problem", but are trying to apply a "solution" (more cores/threads)

Does this 'problem' exist across all users with a similar level of CPU? Why or why not?
What type of systems does it run on? What systems does it fail on?

Instead of trying to apply a "solution" (add more cores) that cannot exist, for a "problem" (lack of cores) that does not seem to exist, this is your moment to do some investigation.

Apr 25, 2019
"running the game?"

Is that...not running it at all?
If so, then you have other issues.

Your hardware specs seem to support that game as is.

Your initial question/statement of "Is there any way to fake at least threads or create virtual ones? Same for cpu cores " would seem to be looking to "add" cores or threads.
What leads you to believe that your system lacks the requisite number of cores to run that game?
Or that adding/faking that config is the "solution"?

Symptom
Problem
Solution

You have a semi-stated "symptom" - 'running the game'. Is that not running at all, or running badly?
You've not identified the "problem", but are trying to apply a "solution" (more cores/threads)

Does this 'problem' exist across all users with a similar level of CPU? Why or why not?
What type of systems does it run on? What systems does it fail on?

Instead of trying to apply a "solution" (add more cores) that cannot exist, for a "problem" (lack of cores) that does not seem to exist, this is your moment to do some investigation.

I did and devs told us that the cpu is the problem. Sadly no one plays this game on Core i5 3470 anymore so I can't make sure if someone is running the game on it or not. And their system requirements is considered false at the moment for many reasons as reported by users

And yes the game doesn't run at all just the main menu. You can't start any kind of gameplay offline or online. And some said that when characters are loaded the game crashes and that's why. So devs took this and blamed the cpu cores

Last edited: