[SOLVED] how to find and open cd slot

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello,
I bought a used like new (no manual) hp Pavilion 22-a113w All - in - one desktop pc.
The online manual has not helped to find how to find and open the cd slot which I think is on the back of pc.
You tube videos only show how to open up the computer...to replace or add things.
There is a panel on the back with a button which does nothing when pressed. Gentle prying does not lift it off.
I now wonder if there is a way to insert a cd anywhere??
or am I supposed to get an external cd player?
I bought this for a Grandson to play games on ... if I can figure out how to make that happen!
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Solution
The model claims in the specs to have a CD drive. It'll most likely be placed on the left or right side of the monitor. Take this image for example, it should be where #3 is.
c04714880.jpg

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you. I was able to use a paper clip in the tiny hole in the panel and it opened.
Could you say why - when at start up - the computer has a prolonged series of beeps before the desk top opens? It's like waiting for a morse code message to come through!!!

Last edited:
You mention buying used without manual. Are you certain yours has the DVD/CD drive? They usually have "dummy" slots or trays incase customer chooses the optional drive at initial purchase. Given the system is an all in one, it likely would. E slot load type. This all said what games will be played by your grandson, as most AIOs aren't suited for gaming.

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks everyone! cd slot now opened!
used a paper clip to encourage it.

oh boy. Grandson would be playing casual games, nothing huge/complicated. Maybe some adventure games? Do you think this computer can handle those?
also, from a previous / above comment -

Could you say why - when at start up - the computer has a prolonged series of beeps before the desk top opens? It's like waiting for a morse code message to come through!!

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
full wipe and reinstall?
no I have not. and do not know how...yet.

I purchased the all in one from my elderly neighbor lady across the street from me. She bought it because she thought she had to have a computer, then didn't know how to use it, nor how to look for answers. So she set it aside without it ever really being used and connected to the internet. She went on to other interests.
I still want to find out what the long opening series of beeps is and if I can stop it. It continues these beeps for nearly a minute before the desk top appears.

A clean install is highly recommended if not done already. Regarding games, any examples by chance? Older CD based games, web browser based games? This particular system will be limited by its CPU, which has integrated graphics vs discrete GPU, and a smaller thermal envelope than standard desktop PC. Depends on the game how well it would perform for your Grandson. Regarding beeps, is there a particular pattern? This can be used for diagnostics.

USAFRet

Titan
full wipe and reinstall?
no I have not. and do not know how...yet.

I purchased the all in one from my elderly neighbor lady across the street from me. She bought it because she thought she had to have a computer, then didn't know how to use it, nor how to look for answers. So she set it aside without it ever really being used and connected to the internet. She went on to other interests.
I still want to find out what the long opening series of beeps is and if I can stop it. It continues these beeps for nearly a minute before the desk top appears.
With any used PC, a fresh install, done by you, is strongly recommended.

That series of beeps could be hardware, or a result of the 'elderly neighbor ladys' nephew (The Smart Computer Kid!) that did something weird and potentially illegal.
I've seen things in used PC's that require immediate police interaction. Even from a supposed "good friend".

It is imperative that you start with a clean slate. Especially coming from "elderly neighbor lady".

USAFRet

Titan
ok - good idea for sure ! how is the fresh install done?
Assuming Windows 10, basically this:

kdj

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
it's Windows 10 Home. I do not have this all in one connected yet. I have xfinity and will get it set up - probably try to figure out for wifi - ? Then I can download an installation tutorial. As for gaming - though my Grandsons are 11 and 6 - they already know a whole lot more than me but the games I have on hand are simply those point and click adventure games - and as you mentioned - may not play on the AIO as they may be too old. Maybe after it is connected to the internet, I can download ones that will work.