Question How to find CPU full potential beyond thermal throttling?

Feb 18, 2020
Let's say I overclocked CPU to a certain point at relatively low voltage and hit thermal throttling territory. Given that I'm working with relatively low voltages here, I know that CPU is capable of higher clock speeds.
Now, I assume that because of the thermal throttling, stability tests would NOT prove that CPU is capable of running at the clock speed and voltage specified in the BIOS (even if system would pass all of the included tests). It's because CPU constantly being downclocked due to excessive heat - it can't physically sustain specified clock speed otherwise it would just burn. These are my assumptions, feel free to confirm or deny.
If I want to know the full potential of the CPU - the highest possible clock speed it can run at stably with safe voltage (<=1.4V) - what are my options other than finding a more efficient cooling solution?

Let's say I overclocked CPU to a certain point at relatively low voltage and hit thermal throttling territory. Given that I'm working with relatively low voltages here, I know that CPU is capable of higher clock speeds.
Now, I assume that because of the thermal throttling, stability tests would NOT prove that CPU is capable of running at the clock speed and voltage specified in the BIOS (even if system would pass all of the included tests). It's because CPU constantly being downclocked due to excessive heat - it can't physically sustain specified clock speed otherwise it would just burn. These are my assumptions, feel free to confirm or deny.
If I want to know the full potential of the CPU - the highest possible clock speed it can run at stably with safe voltage (<=1.4V) - what are my options other than finding a more efficient cooling solution?
Max voltage and temps depend very much on particular CPU, there's no "one fits all", so which CPU are you talking about ?
In theory you can push voltage indefinitely if you can cool CPU enough but at some point only sub zero cooling would let you go much higher than manufacturer's recommendations. That's how they make and brake OC records.
Also keep in ind that exceeding mfg's recommendations is at your risk and anything above them is bound to make some short or long term damage.

Feb 18, 2020
@CountMike I am talking about 9350K. I have a rather slim case and use air cooling.
In mprime (aka Prime95) I get thermal throttling with only XMP profile enabled and CPU left at stock. At the same time in sustained workloads that this computer will actually be used for I do not get thermal throttling even at 5.1GHz@1.4V and reach 90C max (at 30C ambient), and I gain +15% to +25% more performance. However, stability of the system is also important for the workloads it will be used for, and I'd like to know the options that I have to test it.
I'd gladly leave my system overclocked if I just knew that the system is stable.