How to find what drive Win 10 installed on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
So I have 1 SSD and 2 HDDs in my PC and I installed Windows 10 using the auto-install while I was sleeping. I just booted up using Win 10 for the first time and everything is super slow compared to Win 7. My SSD is my C: drive and I was using that for my OS drive but my old OS drive, a HDD also has Win 7 on it also. I didn't give much thought to which drive it would install to but now I am wondering, how do I check which drive it is running off without unplugging my drives 1 at a time?

Solution
If you look at PC or This PC or whatever where it shows the images of each disk and how much space is left on them, one of them will have a little windows flag on it. that is the one windows was installed on. (it's also the C: drive by default)

Aceina

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
If you look at PC or This PC or whatever where it shows the images of each disk and how much space is left on them, one of them will have a little windows flag on it. that is the one windows was installed on. (it's also the C: drive by default)

Solution

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

OK thank you. It is on my SSD but everything seems so much slower.

Aceina

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
you could try optimizing your SSD (http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/)
also make sure the programs you want to load the fastest are on the SSD, and that your SSD is hooked up to a Sata 3 slot, with a Sata 3 cable, and not to a Sata 2 slot or cable.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Isn't it bad to defrag your SSD? All my main programs are on my SSD and it is hooked to sata 3. It was running great on Windows 7 but after upgrading to 10 my speeds dropped by about 50%. I also noticed after about 2 hours of use everything is stuttering...so confused, I want to like Windows 10

Aceina

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
DO NOT defrag an SSD. it does nothing but move data around, which is pointless, cause an SSD doesn't care where the data is, so you're just shortening it's lifespan. in Windows 8 and Windows 10, when you go to the Defrag menu, it should say Optimize next to your SSD. this option IS something you want to do to your SSD, although i'm not sure how much it will help.
Also, If your Installation was recent, it may take a restart or 3 to get it back to full speed. dont restart it 3 times in a row, just use it as you normally would, and see if it gets any better in the next few days

Status
Not open for further replies.