How to fix a ps2 that wont turn on?

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
my ps2 is broken. the power led doesn't light up, the only sign of power that it's getting is the power board/the board that is connected to the power jack. I don't know if the power goes any further but I was hoping there is a good way to troubleshoot it without getting an electric shock that happened to me the first time.

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

I'm not exactly familiar with where the fuse is located, but here are some images I've gathered up on Google that show multiple spots and what not: https://www.google.ca/search?q=playstation+2+fuses&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim8cLBkqTZAhXl5oMKHUSpCaIQ_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=955

If replacing the fuse doesn't do the trick, then try replacing the entire power supply first, or you could even do that instead of just replacing the fuse, all you have to do is buy the correct power supply for your console, which is an SCPH-50004, and then you'd replace it inside the system with the old one, this only usually takes a few minutes to do, in my case, the power supply in my two SCPH-39001's is at the bottom of the system where the bottom cover is, if the SCPH-50004 is just like that, you'd have to just unscrew the memory card and controller ports at the top and then lift the system out of the bottom case and you'd have access to the power supply where you replace the fuse or just replace the power supply itself, there might be fuses in other parts of the system other than the power supply, but I'm not completely sure, I haven't done research on fuses yet and am not exactly familiar with them other than what they look like, what they're intended for, etc.

So yeah, to get to the power supply, it's simple, like I said, if the SCPH-50004 is just like the other models like the SCPH-39001 and the power supply is located under the system, you'd just have to remove the memory card and controller ports at the top, and lift the system out of the bottom case, and the power supply should be underneath
The power supply could just be faulty and in this case, it's probably just better worth buying a new SCPH-50004 power supply

Please do remember that almost each system has multiple revisions inside and outside that Sony did

The power supply looks something like this for the SCPH-5000X series models: https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1680&bih=955&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=EYWDWtGHHoTTjwTs64rwBw&q=ps2+power+supply&oq=ps2+power+supply&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i7i30k1l3j0i8i30k1l5.21625.21625.0.21879.1.1.0.0.0.0.107.107.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.106....0.OXYOaL9njc4#imgrc=GLlk50rjAOg3VM:&spf=1518568738175 - But it looks different for each model, so just take note of how it looks and look for the exact same one with the exact same look online

Here is an outline of inside the SCPH-50004 just so you can get an idea of it:

And remember, do not leave the system plugged in while it is disassembled unless you are testing it disassembled, and don't touch anything while it is plugged in with the system disassembled
It would be best to leave the system unplugged for atleast 4-12 hours before opening it, as some components can still hold a charge after being freshly unplugged

So yeah, replace the fuse(s) which are located on the power supply, you can find the fuse or the fuses you need to find on Google as I'm not too familiar with it, or just replace the entire power supply itself and get one for the SCPH-50004, and then test it

If it still does not work: The power supply receives power from this little component: https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1680&bih=955&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ZoWDWrKKCsmPjwTzopf4Ag&q=ps2+fat+power+supply+switch&oq=ps2+fat+power+supply+switch&gs_l=psy-ab.3...52627.57191.0.57350.29.18.4.7.9.0.202.2092.4j12j1.17.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.23.1945...0j0i67k1j0i8i30k1j0i30k1j0i24k1j0i13k1.0.Q7-aQPQyRLs#imgrc=mGiT8OVny1EkrM:&spf=1518568858373
It receives power from this component which connects down to the power supply, this could be the faulty part that you need to replace, which these can be bought as well, I believe it works on any fat model, but just to be on the safe side, if you end up wanting to buy it online, buy it specifically from/for the SCPH-50004

I also found a video of a guy disassembling a SCPH-5000x PS2, so this might be the same revision inside for your console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjiVcBEp5Y

If you need any help, let me know, I did the best I could to explain it, could be the power supply that needs a replacement, new fuse(s) put in, new power switch put in, all that, let me know if it works out

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Last time I tested(when I got a shock) I held the psu and that was how got a shock. but is it possible that it still is the psu is broken or that the the connection to the main bord is broken?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

sorry ive been busy so that's why I haven't been replying, idk if u already fixed it, but yes it is a possibility, its worth a try to just replace it, its also a possibility that your power and eject button needs to be replaced, or at least the ribbon cable for it

TRENDING THREADS