[SOLVED] How to fix a PSU that restarts frequently ?

icareareyou

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Hello everyone
PSU restarts frequently without a reason and if i unplug it and leave it for a couple of weeks at least it will work normally again for 2 weeks max.
I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to fix it temporary at least until i buy a new one.
Thanks in advance,

Solution
I bought a new one last year (GIGABYTE 450W 80 PLUS Bronze) and it fails in less than a year so i had to work with this PSU until i buy a new one again :(
If you have multiple power supplies fail, you need to look at the rest of the environment. Is your mains power out of spec? Does your PC have a problem or short? Is your environment the problem -- too hot/too cold, too moist, insect infestation ?
You have a more basic problem that needs to be addressed first.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone
PSU restarts frequently without a reason and if i unplug it and leave it for a couple of weeks at least it will work normally again for 2 weeks max.
I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to fix it temporary at least until i buy a new one.
Thanks in advance,
Replace it. Power supplies are not worth the risk of trying to service without proper service documentation.

kanewolf

Titan
I bought a new one last year (GIGABYTE 450W 80 PLUS Bronze) and it fails in less than a year so i had to work with this PSU until i buy a new one again :(
If you have multiple power supplies fail, you need to look at the rest of the environment. Is your mains power out of spec? Does your PC have a problem or short? Is your environment the problem -- too hot/too cold, too moist, insect infestation ?
You have a more basic problem that needs to be addressed first.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution
Might just be bad luck, although the gigabyte especially uses pretty poor quality components that might not last very long.

However check for warranty coverage before spending money on a replacement. The Gigabyte is most certainly under warranty, the Cooler Master might be.