[SOLVED] How to fix amd asus rx 5700 xt randomly crashing when gaming on certain games (help please) :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
Hi all,
I know i have the worst 5700 XT on the market, i bought it earlier last year (didn't use until much later), i cannot replace it so i'm currently stuck with it, i'm looking for any fix that i can do to fix it's issues, issues are when playing games, the pc goes black screen and immediately reboots, happened with cyberpunk, solasta, avengers, ..., i'm 100% sure it's the gpu since i just built a new pc but kept the gpu and the issue still persists, this does not happen on other games like the evil within 2, the medium, sekiro, desperados 3, and happened only one time with forza 5 (played more than 50 hours setting on high-ultra), i read that this card has issues that it's memory temp gets high, some ppl fixed their 5700 xt by using red bios editor, do you guys recommend me to do that ? any other fixes ? i'm currently using tyhe latest driver. HELP PLEASE!

Currently it's crashing too much when playing solasta crown of the magistrate, i managed to catch the gpu sensors through gpu-z.

What i did to try and fix :
-removed radeon software with it's cleaner and installed driver through device manager.
-change pcie and set to gen 3.
-overclock and undervolt through radeon software + fan 100%.

i did some gpu-z sensor logging which showed the last sensor logs before shutting down, one of them shows no overheat issue while the other shows memory reaching 102, i did more testing and had more crushes and had 3 more logs which show no overheat issues :'(, do not know how to post them here but i'll try to pretend that there is an overheat issue and i'm going to try and install some thermal pads on my gpu, but my country sucks, i found only some 3 small 4 mm pads, can i cut them so that they become 2mm ? or should i just use them like they are right now however i see fit ? is 4mm going to be a problem when installed on top of memory ?
Thank you,

My Asus Strix 5700xt got really hot as well, there are some fixes for this, but they do require you to use a small screw driver and some plastic washers, Asus was pretty bad with this card, My VRM didn't even touch the card when it was installed, Asus replaced it and it did the same thing, the screwed they used on the VRM are was too long. shorter screws or some thick plastic washers can fix this. Many videos on this, you really don't have to take the card apart, but its recommended
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHetMV3KhC4&ab_channel=HardwareHusky

Reactions: RodroX

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

Windows : Windows 10 64bit
GPU : AMD ASUS rx 5700 xt TUF (not EVO)
CPU : Processor AMD ryzen 5 3600
RAM : Patriot viper steel dimm ddr4 8gbx2 (16 gb) RAM
MOBO : B450 AORUS ELITE
PSU : Cooler Master MWE 650 BRONZE V2

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
My Asus Strix 5700xt got really hot as well, there are some fixes for this, but they do require you to use a small screw driver and some plastic washers, Asus was pretty bad with this card, My VRM didn't even touch the card when it was installed, Asus replaced it and it did the same thing, the screwed they used on the VRM are was too long. shorter screws or some thick plastic washers can fix this. Many videos on this, you really don't have to take the card apart, but its recommended
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHetMV3KhC4&ab_channel=HardwareHusky
Thank you for your comment, but my card is TUF and not Strix so i don't think that fix will do me any good, actually the fix for my card high memory temperature is to add thermal pads, but i'm not even sure if high temp is my issue because only 1/5 tests where the pc rebooted produced a high temp (102) for memory temp.

Hi all,
I know i have the worst 5700 XT on the market, i bought it earlier last year (didn't use until much later), i cannot replace it so i'm currently stuck with it, i'm looking for any fix that i can do to fix it's issues, issues are when playing games, the pc goes black screen and immediately reboots, happened with cyberpunk, solasta, avengers, ..., i'm 100% sure it's the gpu since i just built a new pc but kept the gpu and the issue still persists, this does not happen on other games like the evil within 2, the medium, sekiro, desperados 3, and happened only one time with forza 5 (played more than 50 hours setting on high-ultra), i read that this card has issues that it's memory temp gets high, some ppl fixed their 5700 xt by using red bios editor, do you guys recommend me to do that ? any other fixes ? i'm currently using tyhe latest driver. HELP PLEASE!

Currently it's crashing too much when playing solasta crown of the magistrate, i managed to catch the gpu sensors through gpu-z.

What i did to try and fix :
-removed radeon software with it's cleaner and installed driver through device manager.
-change pcie and set to gen 3.
-overclock and undervolt through radeon software + fan 100%.

i did some gpu-z sensor logging which showed the last sensor logs before shutting down, one of them shows no overheat issue while the other shows memory reaching 102, i did more testing and had more crushes and had 3 more logs which show no overheat issues :'(, do not know how to post them here but i'll try to pretend that there is an overheat issue and i'm going to try and install some thermal pads on my gpu, but my country sucks, i found only some 3 small 4 mm pads, can i cut them so that they become 2mm ? or should i just use them like they are right now however i see fit ? is 4mm going to be a problem when installed on top of memory ?
Thank you,

How about you actually install MSI Afterburner and use the OSD to see the temps while gaming?

Also sometimes we overlook that we may just have a really bad air-flow case, What case do you have?, Have you tried to play games without the side panel?

And what happends if you add a normal house desktop fan blowing air from the side? (something like this, but please don't use tape, just use a desktop fan blowing air inside https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ed5e30ead6272439783bf6e0b54d38b4-lq)

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
How about you actually install MSI Afterburner and use the OSD to see the temps while gaming?

Also sometimes we overlook that we may just have a really bad air-flow case, What case do you have?, Have you tried to play games without the side panel?

And what happends if you add a normal house desktop fan blowing air from the side? (something like this, but please don't use tape, just use a desktop fan blowing air inside https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ed5e30ead6272439783bf6e0b54d38b4-lq)

I actually did a temp check while gaming, using gpu-z, in 5 tests where the pc rebooted, only 1 result showed that the gpu memory temp reached 102.

I actually did a temp check while gaming, using gpu-z, in 5 tests where the pc rebooted, only 1 result showed that the gpu memory temp reached 102.

ok that temp is really hot. Just a heads up, even though GPU-Z is an awesome tool, unless you have two monitors or play in windowed mode, afterburner osd is more partical for me.
What about the rest of my post? Did you tried any of that?

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Just use HWiNFO64 for checking your temps if you're using a single display as it will show you what your max temps in your whole system you would be getting instead and you're done playing your game.

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
facing the fans the wrong way on the CPU water cooled radiator can give 20C higher than normal temperature inside the case
i'm using the default cooler for the cpu, not sure how it's going to be facing the wrong way ?

Just use HWiNFO64 for checking your temps if you're using a single display as it will show you what your max temps in your whole system you would be getting instead and you're done playing your game.

ok, will try to use it instead.

Noor Dhaouadi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
It appears this got fixed by updating the gpu bios, 2 days with no crashes for now, hopefully it is fixed, this is for anyone who finds himself in a situation like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.