[SOLVED] How to fix computer spamming enter key issue?

Jul 9, 2019
Earlier this night, my Desktop started to press the enter key several times per second. This continued after unplugging my keyboard, so I don't believe that it is a hardware issue. I've ran Malwarebytes, to check for malware, but after deleting all detected threats, my problem continued. I've ran the keyboard troubleshooter from Windows 10's settings. I've redownloaded the drivers for my Corsair k70 run keyboard. Is this a software issue? How do I fix it? Right now I'm restarting my pc without a keyboard connected to see if that'll help. Please help me

Solution
does it happen in safe mode?
How soon does it start spamming enter? at the login screen?
getting into some menus might be difficult with it acting like that

from login screen, open the power button on bottom right
while holding left shift key, click restart option
this loads you into windows recovery

lets try safe mode and see if its same
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if keyboard isn't acting same way, it could be possibly caused by a startup program
set up PC for a clean boot - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or...

Colif

Win 11 Master

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

if keyboard isn't acting same way, it could be possibly caused by a startup program
set up PC for a clean boot - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Reactions: boju
Solution
Jul 9, 2019

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button

set up PC for a clean boot - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
I dont know how to get to Safe mode. Yes, it starts spamming enter at the login screen. I'm currently trying to get to Windows Recovery, but the enter key keeps clicking when I hover over "shutdown" so I need to get my timing right.

Jul 9, 2019

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button

Thanks for your help, after I was in safe mode, I was able to do a system restore, fixing the problem. Sorry I didn't follow all your instructions, but safe mode was incredibly helpful. Thank you!