[SOLVED] How to fix "corrupted" .txt file ?

nemastaelvandzo

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
So i had this .txt files that contain a lot of text in it and then it suddenly changes into some sort of gibberish and symbols with some alphabets with black background. I don't know if this is corrupted or is it something else, i've tried to recover the old version of that file using an app and got the version of one month ago but when i opened it, it still contains the same gibberish. I've tried opening it with regular notepad, notepad ++, wordpad, i've tried changing the encoding (i don't really understand how encoding works btw) but nothing works. This is frustrating me, please help...

This is how it shows when you open the file, View: https://imgur.com/a/oO3Ws8D

Solution
Yeah i don't really understand folder permission sorry, but for that defective ssd like you've said, the only thing that can't be opened is that video only, other video can be played just fine. Also some people told me to use chkdsk and it said there's no bad sector.
The one that was "recovered" i think is just the old version of the file, i never deleted it, i just edit it from times to times, i don't know if it will help but that note file just contains a lot of title of the comic that i just read but it has a lot of it and i'm really desperate to have it back.
Oh yeah also i thought that gibberish was affecting all of the notes so i checked other .txt files on the ssd and everything is just like normal.

If you deleted and...

nemastaelvandzo

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
What was the last thing you did before this happened?
What "app" did you use to recover the 'old version'?
Done any deep virus/malware scans lately?

More details, please.

There was an update that really made my laptop's performance slower so i uninstalled it and my performance is back like usual, then i made all of my folder to NOT read only (fyi i have two ssd on my laptop, i download a video that can only be played on the main ssd but when i copied it to another ssd it can't be played, it also just for that video only, that's why i make all folder read only cus i thought that was the problem), oh yeah before this notepad problem exist i was scanning for replaced file with with disk drill then because it was so slow I terminate that program from the task manager.

The "app" that i used for data recovery was Recuva, Recover it Wondershare, and Fonelab data Reciever.
Recuva had the old version like maybe one/two days before the problem occurs and when i opened it, it's still broken (had the exact same gibberish). Recover it was paid but i could at least preview it and had the exact same gibberish. The last one was that Fonelab and it got the version one month before, at september, i was happy until i opened it and still the same.

I haven't done any deep malware scan so right at this moment i write this it's still ongoing.

Thanks for the reply

USAFRet

Titan
then i made all of my folder to NOT read only
Folder permissions don't work like that.

i download a video that can only be played on the main ssd but when i copied it to another ssd it can't be played, it also just for that video only,
That speaks to a defective file, or defective SSD.

The "app" that i used for data recovery was Recuva, Recover it Wondershare, and Fonelab data Reciever.
Recuva had the old version like maybe one/two days before the problem occurs and when i opened it, it's still broken (had the exact same gibberish). Recover it was paid but i could at least preview it and had the exact same gibberish. The last one was that Fonelab and it got the version one month before, at september, i was happy until i opened it and still the same.
Was that recovered previous version something you had deleted, or....something else?

Your .txt file looking like that suggests it being encrypted. Malware, ransomware, or similar.

nemastaelvandzo

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
Folder permissions don't work like that.

That speaks to a defective file, or defective SSD.

Was that recovered previous version something you had deleted, or....something else?

Your .txt file looking like that suggests it being encrypted. Malware, ransomware, or similar.

Yeah i don't really understand folder permission sorry, but for that defective ssd like you've said, the only thing that can't be opened is that video only, other video can be played just fine. Also some people told me to use chkdsk and it said there's no bad sector.
The one that was "recovered" i think is just the old version of the file, i never deleted it, i just edit it from times to times, i don't know if it will help but that note file just contains a lot of title of the comic that i just read but it has a lot of it and i'm really desperate to have it back.
Oh yeah also i thought that gibberish was affecting all of the notes so i checked other .txt files on the ssd and everything is just like normal.

If you deleted and tried to recover files, that does not work perfectly all the time. Corrupt files are actually pretty common.

Solution