[SOLVED] How to fix GPU is a 99 idle when starting up and stays at 99

Apr 18, 2021
After a few seconds when starting up my pc, it goes to 99 gpu.
specs: amd ryzen 5 3600
gpu: msi radeon 5500 XT

Solution
Well there was quite a few things that I did remove however when I scanned it about 2 days ago, it told me there were no more malware to be found, but still has my gpu running at 99% idle.

You might have a cryptocurrency miner on your system, what anti-virus were you using?

The nuclear option is to reset all your drives and reinstall windows, but I would only do that as a last resort.

A more valid approach would be to download and install rkill then run it, see what your GPU is running at after that. If after running rkill your GPU idle usage is no longer 99% you almost definitely have a miner virus install, if its still 99% that doesnt mean your in the clear though.

After running rkill.exe (dont restart, you need to do this...
Apr 18, 2021
I saw it in the software that AMD's website, AMD Radeon Software, rn I did my little trick of unplugging the GPU then replugging then turning my pc on and it usually fixes it, but I don't want to keep doing that .

Apr 18, 2021
When it was a 99% usage it was at around 58 C idle, and yes I did scan multiple times but nothing got fixed after removing everything it told me to remove.

Apr 18, 2021
Well there was quite a few things that I did remove however when I scanned it about 2 days ago, it told me there were no more malware to be found, but still has my gpu running at 99% idle.

GameCrucnh

Commendable
Sep 24, 2020

You might have a cryptocurrency miner on your system, what anti-virus were you using?

The nuclear option is to reset all your drives and reinstall windows, but I would only do that as a last resort.

A more valid approach would be to download and install rkill then run it, see what your GPU is running at after that. If after running rkill your GPU idle usage is no longer 99% you almost definitely have a miner virus install, if its still 99% that doesnt mean your in the clear though.

After running rkill.exe (dont restart, you need to do this right after) i'd install Malwarebytes (personal recommendation for antivirus as it seems to work the best compared to other anti viruses)

After malware bytes remove everything and prompts you to restart your computer you should restart, After restarting see what your GPU is at idle, if its still 99% continue following these steps, I'd run rkill.exe again just in an attempt to get rid of any program and them immediately run (again without restarting) and run Malwarebytes ADWCleaner (Its made for adware however it'll pick up PuPs and a bitcoin miner might be detected as one of those)

Then repeat the restart if prompted and then check GPU usage, if still 99% run rkill.exe again then i'd try using Sophos Hitman pro, this is a very good malware scanner however it costs money, its first scan is free though so its a one time option.

Its very likely this is malware as you have already found some.

Solution
Apr 18, 2021
Wow that was a really in depth advice, I really do appreciate for your guys' help, I'll try it out later since I'm in class rn, but I will do it when I can and let you guys know what happen. Thanksss