Question How to fix high GPU temps ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Strange normally gives a reference number still I would see if there's uneven pressure on the die see if your getting proper GPU coverage of paste.

Is the fan axial or blower ? Style

There where no thermal pads around it ?
i have a picture above, i'm not sure which it is.
i think so? they were black as opposed to white/grey

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
wait, then how does it work? do i just loosen the screws to alleviate some pressures? also, for now at least; it's not bent
Typically with electronics I use an electronics screwdriver and use only the tips of my fingers to tighten things. A full size screwdriver can even break off small computer screws.

With a full size screw driver I would be very gentle and tighten until there is some resistance, but not keep going until it stops.

Just something you have to gain from experience really. They don't exactly publish torque specs and most people don't have torque drivers that accurate.

But you're still implying that my COOLER is the weak point no? I don't think running the card with these temps is worth it either
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?

You knew, your system has problems with temperatures.
Why did you choose a case with completely sealed off front?

Try removing front panel and see, how that impacts temperatures.

BTW - what is your ambient room temperature? Something like 35C ?

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?

You knew, your system has problems with temperatures.
Why did you choose a case with completely sealed off front?

Try removing front panel and see, how that impacts temperatures.

BTW - what is your ambient room temperature? Something like 35C ?
i knew my OLD system has issues with temperatures... my current one is just pretty mediocre because the front is sealed with only side ventilations, but it pulls in air still.

when it's removed there's around a 3-6c difference tho

i live in a tropical country so it's probably around 30+C yeah

May 16, 2024
To fix high GPU temps, make sure your PC case has good airflow and clean any dust from your GPU and case fans. You can also try reapplying thermal paste on your GPU and checking for proper fan operation. If you're overclocking, consider dialing back a bit. Finally, consider adding more case fans or upgrading to a more efficient cooling solution like a liquid cooler. What's your current setup like?

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Typically with electronics I use an electronics screwdriver and use only the tips of my fingers to tighten things. A full size screwdriver can even break off small computer screws.

With a full size screw driver I would be very gentle and tighten until there is some resistance, but not keep going until it stops.

Just something you have to gain from experience really. They don't exactly publish torque specs and most people don't have torque drivers that accurate.
can you be more specific. "resistance" is a vague term
This means - closed front is severely obstructing airflow.

You could relocate 2 of front intake fans to top of the case (intake orientation).
This should improve temperatures slightly.
Well, there are two issues.
One, I don't know how to take off the front panel
Two, It's still pushing air and there's a good amount of space between the front panel and the fans wouldn't top intake obstruct the airflow because the GPU pushes air from the bottom and exhausts it thru the top?

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
To fix high GPU temps, make sure your PC case has good airflow and clean any dust from your GPU and case fans. You can also try reapplying thermal paste on your GPU and checking for proper fan operation. If you're overclocking, consider dialing back a bit. Finally, consider adding more case fans or upgrading to a more efficient cooling solution like a liquid cooler. What's your current setup like?
1. my airflow is mediocre with two 120mm intake fan
2. As I said above I've already reapplied thermal paste
3. I do plan on adding another exhaust to have neutral airflow

One, I don't know how to take off the front panel
What? You said, you removed it previously and saw 3C-6C difference.
It's still pushing air and there's a good amount of space between the front panel and the fans
Air intake is obstructed.
Air vents are important (not distance between closed front panel and fans).
wouldn't top intake obstruct the airflow because the GPU pushes air from the bottom and exhausts it thru the top?
Air intake is much more important than exhaust.
Air goes out through rear exhaust fan.
GPU just recirculates air inside the case.

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021

I CANNOT BELIEVED THIS WOKR HAHAHAHAHAHA

In overwatch 2 and at first boot at least, it only hits 70c, hot spot is still 83 but it's such a drastic improvement. thank you so much, also i think i'll leave the side panel off even if it's just 2 or 3 c

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
HWi-NFO64-Yv-U8g-Mlv-Dn.png
Hot spot is different from core. It has a higher temperature range, up to 110C. It's actually fine here - the temperature gap between it and gpu core is good. Repaste not necessary, IMO.

[pic]
Seems like the latter
Low profile cooler doesn't have much headroom in the way of cooling capacity.
Your case's front intake would be blowing against the flow of one-half of the gpu cooler's exhaust, and said cooler is reusing exhaust that can't get away from it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

In overwatch 2 and at first boot at least, it only hits 70c, hot spot is still 83 but it's such a drastic improvement. thank you so much, also i think i'll leave the side panel off even if it's just 2 or 3 c

You would be surprised how many computer problems start with people overtightening things. You may have actually been squeezing out most of the thermal paste.

Reactions: anonsky

If you haven't already switch the fans in top to pull air in the case replace the rear fan with a faster fan in e.g if all fans in front and top spin at 1200 rpm make the rear a 1500 rpm this should work better also because of the obstruction at front you may be better with pressure fan at the rear if there's alot of metal to push threw as static fans advantage is to push air threw obstructions.

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Hot spot is different from core. It has a higher temperature range, up to 110C. It's actually fine here - the temperature gap between it and gpu core is good. Repaste not necessary, IMO.

Low profile cooler doesn't have much headroom in the way of cooling capacity.
Your case's front intake would be blowing against the flow of one-half of the gpu cooler's exhaust, and said cooler is reusing exhaust that can't get away from it.
Thanks for the clarification also yeah the repaste did nothing for the temps, but i guess it's due for one because the paste did start to harden a bit

Last edited:

anonsky

Commendable
Nov 9, 2021
Honestly at this point I might as well just buy a new GPU, that was the plan anyways. With the under volting + loosening screws + potentially better airflow my GPU has stayed around 70-75C without hitting 83 and the hotspot never hitting 90 so I'm fine for now

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While looking at the die the paste did squeeze to the sides a lot
Some paste being squeezed out the sides is expected. The role of paste is filling in microscopic gaps that otherwise would be filled with air if the cold plate and die were mashed together with nothing else. Having air in those gaps is less ideal for transferring heat from the die to the cooler cold plate, that's why paste is used.

Generally better to use too much paste than too little, as any excess will be pushed out upon installing the cooler.