[SOLVED] how to fix high large page memory usage?

Solution
Is this at boot or do you have programs open?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if clean boot changes amount of ram used at idle, just reduce amount of programs running might help.
Not sure what Large page represents as its not page file usage. your shots show you only using 189mb of it. I ran rammap and my current usage is 0.

As stated, unless...
how is using 5gb of my memory not a problem? why my laptop dosen’t use large file memory ?
Is your system running out of ram? experiencing slowdowns, stuttering, high disk activity?
No? Then there's no issue.

When system has free ram, then it is automatically used for disk caching to improve performance.
Unused ram is useless. That's why system tries to use as much as possible.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if clean boot changes amount of ram used at idle, just reduce amount of programs running might help.
Not sure what Large page represents as its not page file usage. your shots show you only using 189mb of it. I ran rammap and my current usage is 0.

As stated, unless you having problems, its not an issue. If you need the ram windows will write info to page file and free up the space.

its not a driver leak as they normally cause the non paged pool to explode, yours is normal.

Solution
Nov 14, 2021

As stated, unless you having problems, its not an issue. If you need the ram windows will write info to page file and free up the space.

its not a driver leak as they normally cause the non paged pool to explode, yours is normal.
i have already done that. windows explorer seems to be the problem, any idea how to fix that?
View: https://imgur.com/a/oyhPMLz

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a bit much.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

have you done a restart? (not turn off PC, i mean user Power menu in start and choose restart)
is that what its like at boot?

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe). It shows way more info than task manager can

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram. it may show what is running under explorer

this is what is running under explorer on my PC.
XMuUhgx.jpg

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colors and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems.

Nov 14, 2021
That is a bit much.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

have you done a restart? (not turn off PC, i mean user Power menu in start and choose restart)
is that what its like at boot?

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe). It shows way more info than task manager can

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram. it may show what is running under explorer

this is what is running under explorer on my PC.
XMuUhgx.jpg

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colors and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems.
i did that, it didn't fix it though. when i opened process explorer i didnt find any process under one pf the two windows explorer and there seem to be two explorer process separate.
View: https://imgur.com/a/YlwwJob

Colif

Win 11 Master
c7QFpIY.png

Commitments aren't just ram usage. That shows the amount of virtual memory that the program has requested from windows to run inside. It may not be using it. It can include page file.
Working set is the actual ram its using.
Private bytes is page file + ram

O77RRvR.png

In your picture its only using 15mb of ram in its 2nd instance, the 2.4gb amount is page file + ram.

In process explorer, right click the header column and choose select columns
click on the Process memory tab
Add Peak Private Bytes and click OK, It will show actual max ram usage.
you can drag it so its right next to the other columns.
can you click on the charts above rows and click the memory tab and show picture here?
LKlIJ5d.jpg

what happens if you end task on the bigger explorer.exe and restart it again?
desktop is one explorer process, not sure if its the big one or not. I suspect its likely in the bigger group

Have you run an antivirus scan or Malwarebytes?
this can be real or a virus - https://appuals.com/what-is-musnotifyicon-exe/

I wonder what is using the large page setting - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/large-page-support

Last edited: