Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2020
For a while now I've had issues with my wifi, where every few seconds the receive would drop to 0 mbps.
See link: View: https://imgur.com/qPu9MDY

Eventually I bought a new wifi-card (TP-Link Archer TX3000E) and it flattened out the receive graph. Although it did seem to help, my internet in games is still very poor. Having done a packet test, I found that I have a high percentage of late packets.
See link: View: https://imgur.com/MG6YLVC

This seems to correlate with my previous card. I've tested the internet on other devices and they do not have the same issue. From what limited information I have been able to find about this online it seems to be a hardware issue. But this doesn't make sense to me, as I am running pretty capable hardware.

What, if any, are the fixes for this? I believe I have tried everything except connecting to my modem by wire, as I am unable to do that with my PC. It shouldn't matter though, as the wireless connection is fine for all other devices.

Any help will be much appreciated :)
- Thank you

Solution
I'm currently using 3 TP link AC1300 extenders connected to the modem. I thought they might have been the issue at first, where they would randomly disconnect or jump extenders, but after having connected to just the one closest, being in the room next to mine, the same issue still occurs.

3 extenders? Like your connection daisy chains through 2-3 access points before it gets to the modem? I'd say that's your problem right there. I hate wifi extenders unless they have an ethernet or powerline backhaul.

If it's your parents house, you could explore using a MOCA adapter to get ethernet to your PC. If you're renting, I would use a powerline adapter instead of wifi extenders.
Sep 12, 2020
I'm currently using 3 TP link AC1300 extenders connected to the modem. I thought they might have been the issue at first, where they would randomly disconnect or jump extenders, but after having connected to just the one closest, being in the room next to mine, the same issue still occurs.

Sep 12, 2020
I haven't tried wired as I'm not able to do that. But I doubt that's it's the wifi connection, rather than something internal to the pc, since all other devices don't have this issue on the same wifi. I was hoping that it's a software issue which can be tweaked, but I really don't know.

Your problem is what is happening is extremely common in wifi which is why there is a recommendation to test on ethernet. That way you know you are not spending huge amounts of time trying to fix the wrong thing.

Your first step is to use very simple tools that are not affected by other things such as browser versions etc. Just run simple ping commands to the router IP in your house.

The problem you have is you will always see some spikes in this number when you run on wifi. The problem is are all the spikes just caused by the wifi itself or are spikes you see caused by something else.

I suppose you could just brute force it and boot a USB linix image. That to a point will tell you if it is some problem with the OS install on your machine. The problem is unless the testing tools run the same under both OS you may not get useful results.

Reactions: SamirD

3 extenders? Like your connection daisy chains through 2-3 access points before it gets to the modem? I'd say that's your problem right there. I hate wifi extenders unless they have an ethernet or powerline backhaul.

If it's your parents house, you could explore using a MOCA adapter to get ethernet to your PC. If you're renting, I would use a powerline adapter instead of wifi extenders.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
I haven't tried wired as I'm not able to do that. But I doubt that's it's the wifi connection, rather than something internal to the pc, since all other devices don't have this issue on the same wifi. I was hoping that it's a software issue which can be tweaked, but I really don't know.
Anything wireless cannot be said with any confidence is not the problem because that's like saying a particular cell phone should have good signal in a certain spot because others do. Waaaaay too many variables. Hence the wired test will help figure out if it's the system or the nic.

Sep 12, 2020

I've set it up so that my pc is only connected to the one closest to it. With that said I will try to look into getting my internet wired, as this is way too frustrating to deal with. I still don't understand why the packets are delayed so consistently, but hopefully I can find a somewhat immediate fix.

I've set it up so that my pc is only connected to the one closest to it.

That doesn't matter if the access point you're connecting to has to connect to 1-2 other access points before it reaches the main router/modem. This will cause delays in your network and why I don't like wifi extenders without a wired backhaul. You can do either powerline, MOCA or good old fashioned ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS